Ignition prob

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
yannick willocx

Ignition prob

Unread post by yannick willocx »

Me and my father both a lancia beta HPE 2000 ie, but the engine wont work.

Everytime we want to start the engine, we have A LOT OF "backfire"
The ignition is checked, and i think it was 180° wrong, we thaught, but from which point you have to count, from the distribution or the ignitiondevice????

Or is there somebody who knows this story and can help us, please answer!

ps: my english sxcks! sorry
Randy Adams

Re: Ignition prob

Unread post by Randy Adams »

Yep, that sounds like 180 degrees wrong to me. I've done that at least once on every car I've pulled the distributor out of. If you can see the distributor (is this on the end of the camshaft?), turn the engine until the crankshaft marks are lined up and then see if the distributor rotor is pointing toward the number one cylinder pin. Alternatively, just pull the distributor, turn the rotor 180 degrees and see if she starts.
leo

Re: Ignition prob

Unread post by leo »

Hello Yannick,
Yes, sounds like ignition is 180 degrees out. The distributor and rotor cannot be rotated 180 degrees as the drive from the camshaft is offset and only fits one way. All you can do is move the plug leads around.
Other possibility is that the camshaft timing is not correct and may be 180 degrees out, this would give the same symptoms.

(I am not too sure about this!!)
Try putting the lead for plug 1 in to the place that number 4 is in then swap the others (3 to what was 2, 4 to what was one and 2 to what was 3.

Good luck, Leo

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”