Appia gearbox

Appia, Aprilia, Ardea, Artena, Astura, Augusta, Belna, Aurelia, Dilambda, Lambda and earlier
Florent

Appia gearbox

Unread post by Florent »

Hello,

I hope there will be someone on the forum to help me : I'm in trouble with my Appia gearbox, convertible, 3rd serie, floor change, I've changed all gaskets, seals, even changed the front part guiding the 3 fork axles (for an old stock one) and I still have major oils leaks from the front of the gearbox (clutch housing), I feel like oil is forced outside due to inner pressure.
As far as I understand, when gearbox warms up, pressure get out through the little hole draining the gear change lever with oil vapor, but it seam like in my gear box, this "air exhaust" is not enough (I even thought about creating a bigger one and connect it to air filter, just to tell you how desperate I am !)

Any advice warmly appreciated as car drives superbly but due to this oils leak, I can't enjoy it on long trips.

Thanks in advance

Florent
chrislg

Re: Appia gearbox

Unread post by chrislg »

First thing I would do is check that you are not overfilling the gearbox. The oil in the gearbox should be level with the bottom of the oil filler plug hole at the rear of the gearbox when the car is on level ground, i.e fill it up until oil starts to come out and that should be the correct level. More than that might cause the oil to be forced past the seals.

My Appia Convertible gearbox leaks a (very) little oil but I am careful to use the right grade of oil (not synthetic as that can casue problems with old seals).

Chris
Florent

Unread post by Florent »

Thank you for your answer

Oil level is correct, done as you described and the grade is also the required one.

I really feel like pressure is the cause (excessive oil level could cause over pressure) but can't understand how it is generated and I can't believe that temperature change in the gearbox is the only factor to push out so many oil !

Thanks again and enjoy your Appia !

Florent
gamma a.i.

Unread post by gamma a.i. »

I know that my own fumbling attempts to do what Florent has done were a disaster. As everyone told me would be the case

Then my (own) shops Meisters (2 of them) attempt to do these things were just as successful (= disaster)

Enter a knowledgable "outside-expert"; initially not called so we could save paying him...ha ha...dumb mistake,

what ? huhh ? how'd you do that when we couldn't ? The job was done right in a short time ... for pennies ... in the experts shop ! OK, this task was not on a Lancia, but the story would have been the same even if it had been a Lancia !

It was simply a task we were not up to ! blush........

Florent...not wishing to insult you...but how good was your 'work' ?
or
... how good were the seals & gaskets ?
or
how good, how well prepared, etc were the surfaces they to be sealed & gasketed ????
perhaps warped ?
perhaps not properly tourqued ?
brian long

Unread post by brian long »

Send me your email address to . A friend of mine has a possible solution
Brian

Return to “75 Early Cars”