ABS Problem and Heater Problem- 91 2.0 16V Turbo - Please Help

potter84

ABS Problem and Heater Problem- 91 2.0 16V Turbo - Please Help

Unread post by potter84 »

Hi everyone,

This is my first time of posting and im so glad i have found this forum as it is very helpful.

I was lucky enough to be given a 1991 2.0 16v Turbo back in October from a family friend. It only has 43k On the clock and is in amazing condition. However i am having a couple of problems with it one which has occured since i got it and one which has just started up.

1) ABS Problem - When starting up and driving the car makes a funny electrical sound (ABS trying to kick in) and the breaks do not respond properly. When pressing the break pedal it feels and sounds as if the breaks grind/cruntch. However as i reach about 20mph the ABS red warning light comes on and the breaks then respond? Any ideas:? I really want to get this sorted as its not ideal when its wet or if i dont have the space to get up to 20mph and can be scary at times!

2) Heater Problem - Recently the Automatic Heating System has just started to blow hot air on every setting and temp. Even on the cold setting. What could this be?

Looking forward to some replies
Cheers
Rob - Newcastle
dian

Re: ABS Problem and Heater Problem- 91 2.0 16V Turbo - Please Help

Unread post by dian »

I had the same problem with ABS. In my case it was broken cable, at the end, of the left rear ABS sensor.

You can check gap between the end of a wheel speed sensor and phonic wheel (0.55mm-0.85mm).

Next you can chek resistance of every sensor, it shoud be about 1KOhm. You may measure resistance at the electrical connection of sensors in the engine compartment for front and in the baggage compartment for rear by disconnecting the sensors from its wiring harness.

Next step, and the last is to check AC voltage reading when the wheel is spun at a speed of about one revolution per second. It shoud be about 700 MV. You may meassure AC voltage with greater speed of wheels, but the same speed for wheels of the same axle.

Return to “51 Thema”