B12 Wheel Bearings

Appia, Aprilia, Ardea, Artena, Astura, Augusta, Belna, Aurelia, Dilambda, Lambda and earlier
Ralph de Masi

B12 Wheel Bearings

Unread post by Ralph de Masi »

I'm in the process of restoring a B12 and I want to remove the rear wheel bearings to clean, inspect, etc. I've got a small lateral play on one of them and I'd like to clean up the years of gook that's covering them. Any tips on what to do or expect? I've done a Fulvia so I know they're probably huge bearings that can be used on a bus and I will have the requisite twelve foot bar. Any ideas on where to rent/buy the tools to grab the rings? I'm in New York. Any further suggestions on the type of grease to use?
Brian Long

Re: B12 Wheel Bearings

Unread post by Brian Long »

Ralph,

I wouldn't mess with these bearings unless you have to. A little play is acceptable but on my B20 the bearings were 'moaning' and the rear-end followed the crown of the road.
Many years ago I wrote an article for the Australian Lancia Register newsletter which detailed the replacement of the Aurelia wheel bearings. Straightforward when you make / have the right tools. And if you can find the bearings now.
If you email me directly, I will .pdf you a copy.
Note that it is difficult to remove and replace the same bearings. There is also an option to use later, smaller bearings in the housing along with adapters if you have access to a lathe. Newer metallurgy allows higher bearing loads. I can send you an article on this also.
Normal wheel bearing grease is adequate. There is also a small breather hole near the grease nipple which has to be clear.
Kind regards.

Brian Long.
neal wittels md

Installing wheel covers on B24s

Unread post by neal wittels md »

Does anyone have instructions on how one installs the wheel covers.
thanks
Brian Long

Re: Installing wheel covers on B24s

Unread post by Brian Long »

Neal,

I think these covers were the same as the later B20's. They were in two pieces; an outer slotted shroud and a cap which had a threaded central tube. Two of the wheel nuts carried a 'can' which had a threaded stud. The shroud was held in place by the cap which was screwed onto the stud using a special tool provided in the tool kit..

Regards,

Brian.
Francesco Gandolfi

Re: Installing wheel covers on B24s

Unread post by Francesco Gandolfi »

Dear Neal,

You are a Member of the Registro Aurelia, why don't you address yourself to the Club for this type of query? This is one of the aims of the Registro, to assist the Members with this type of problems. Kind regards,

Francesco

Return to “75 Early Cars”