g/box exploded !

justin

g/box exploded !

Unread post by justin »

Hi
Anyone got a Kappa 20vt 5-spd gearbox they want to sell?

This, I have found, is NOT the same as a Fiat coupe 20vt 5-spd box.
The cable controls are different, and the Kappa 20v 2.4 rod controls are not interchangeable with the box I need.

I may have to go over to a rod control system but that would mean using the 20v 2.4 ratios, which are also different !

It's not even as if I was really going for it, but the torque available from the 20VT is clearly beyond the capability of this box - the diff exploded into the bell housing!
I have heard similar tales so I must remember to be more careful next time.

Looking at the hole inside the b/housing doesn't show much scope for strengthening, but I have been told that there is a pin holding the diff together that can become displaced due to the feeble system retaining it, so maybe this is the weak link.

Anyone ?
Jus
Lindsay

Re: g/box exploded !

Unread post by Lindsay »

Hi Justin. Not good. Surprising the Fiat box is different. No wonder they dont make money. Might be worth asking trevor in the LMC. He races a Kappa saloon and has 2 breakers - but i think they are both autos.

Go to the LMC forum and stick someting on the Kappa section.

Cant see anyone else in the UK having a spare box but you never know. Try looking on ebay.it as well. Shipping may be hefty but more likely to find one.

Best of luck.
Lindsay
Karsten

Unread post by Karsten »

Auch!!! How many miles/kilometers before the gearbox "exploded"?
Have you often been pushing it to the limit?
trc

Unread post by trc »

bad story.
i lost 5 gear on my 2,4 k recently so if you find a place where can buy gearbox or part s for it then as usual eny help is good.
tnx
justin

Unread post by justin »

About 230kkms, so a good innings.
I've heard that the Fiat 20VT Coupe has 3 variants of gear linkage, none of them the same as the Kappa !
What were Fiat thinking ?
Jus
justin

Unread post by justin »

I'm back online - hurrah!
Still no replacement g/box but I have it on good authority that L&M might be able to help.
When I've can release a bit of budget I'll speak to them.

What I have found for sure(?) is that the Fiat Coupe 20vT had the same box in the later days, but the early K 20vT had a nicer selector action using a more costly mechanism.

Classic Lancia over-engineering for detail improvements, only to be later cheapened to Fiat levels.

I have one of the later Fiat Coupe 20vT 5-sp boxes going if anyone's interested; I must get the Kappa back very soon - I'm going spare driving a Punto and a VW Sharan (albeit a VR6), and missing the Lancia desperately!
Regds,
Jus

Return to “47 Kappa”