new subject as requested, on board computer.

cris

new subject as requested, on board computer.

Unread post by cris »

hello, newbie on the site after finding it on google, proud new owner of a kappa 2.4td '97 model, coupla questions if anyone has the time to answer,
display on computer missing a few lines (pixels? or whatever you call them), common fault?, easy to repair?
alarm fitted, standard lancia, key switch in boot, turned it on with master switch, alarm beeped, press keyfob, open door, alarm goes off, had to switch off at the master switch in boot,(after going deaf in left ear!), no indicators flash when i press keyfob, but light on key (red) does light. any ideas? I had a delta before, and a few other italian cars, girlfriend has a tipo, arev we talking italian electrics?
and last of all, the computer language, according to book, only italian and french, now reads in german, english a possibility? k is an original belgian model.
sorry for the long list for the first time, just trying to set up the car and get some info,
regards, cris.
justin

Re: new subject as requested, on board computer.

Unread post by justin »

Sorry to hear we have similar problems understanding the alarm system - I hope someone on here will help.
Anyway, good to meet you and good luck with the K.
J
Karsten

Unread post by Karsten »

Hey Cris

***Dead pixels? Hard to tell if the pixels are simply dead? I doubt its possible to repair the display, but it can be replaced by using some $$$
***I hope you ear has recovered completey after your little fight with the alarm. It sounds weird that none of the indicators flash when you press the key? Italian electronics sounds like the problem. At least on a 99-model the indicators should flash either 3 times (= alarm off) or 1 time (= alarm on).
***Surely it's possible to choose English for the comp. When you switch to English kilometres will switch to miles (when you press the Service button) and degress will switch to fahrenheit. Because your car is from before the 1998 update I am pretty sure it changes like this. If you got the standard manual for the car it should read somewhere how to switch languages for the comp. If you can't find it (and no of the others here remembers how) I can go check later. Its just some short combination with the buttons besides the computerdisplay.

And congratulations... Nice car! :-)
cris

Unread post by cris »

Thanks for the quick response. found the original manual in the boot, got the display in english, alarm still not doing anything, turned it off now, and i saw on the dutch forum that someone has the same problem with the display missing some lines, gonna search the web for a new or second hand unit. neighbour has a garage over the border in nederland, maybe ask him to check the alarm. hes probably not talking to me after the alarm sounding most of the day!!
st. patricks day party tonight in amsterdam with a mate of mine, so gonna check how the fuel economy is tonight on a nice long motorway run. cant think of a better car to be driving in!
thanks, cris.
Roman PL

Unread post by Roman PL »

Hi Cris. I'm also the owner of Lancia K (98 TD). Missing lines in LCD display means probably wide cable connected to the display is broken/has connection problems. If you are familiar with electronics, you can fix it using the soldering iron. About the alarm. Check the alarm switch locating under the engine cover, check the other switches also (door, boot cover etc.). Here in Poland everyone is also complaining about Italian electric, but the most funniest thing is that all the parts I had the problem with were made in Germany or France :) Anyway, in this car is good to check every cable once per year using same spray which improves the connection.
You can order a lot of second hand parts at ebay or some local e-auctions, for eg. I have found here complete control panel for about 25 Euro.
greetings
Roman
Duarte

Unread post by Duarte »

Hello, if you have the car's user manual, you can look arround pages 20 to 25, some information about the alarm, including the diagnotics interpretation.

According to the book, when you turn the alarm on, it takes about 3 seconds to run some eficiency tests. During this time, the red led flashs 4 times per second. It means the tests are being done. After this, the sistem shows you the results with flashing codes that can be "read".

1. If no anomalies are detected, the alarm turns active directly, and the red led flashes 1 time per second.
2. If any anomalies are detected the red led will flash like this:
A - the red led turns ON for 5 seconds - it means that something is wrong with the volumetric sensors
B - the red led turns ON and OFF 10 times per second, during 5 seconds - it means you have a problem with one of the several perimeter switchs. It can be any of the doors, hood or trunk.

The book also says that once the signs with the red led are done, the alarm will work with the devices that are still working OK.

It sugests that, the alarm going OFF damaging people's ears should not happen. Unless, of course, the alarm it self is broken ( my interpretation ).

Hope this helps.
cris

Unread post by cris »

Thanks people, been checking the web to see what i can find parts wise, will check the connections on the display first before buying anything, thanks fro the tips!
one other thing, when i first start the car the red check light comes on and the display reads "engine control, system failure" but after a few minutes the check light on dash goes out and the display reads ok when i press the check button.
been reading up on the alarm, will try to get it sorted this weekend, i'll keep you all posted.
bit of a multi-national forum here i see from the internet addreses!
cris.
Duarte

Unread post by Duarte »

I once seen that message that you talk about ... 2 days later, the intercooler blow up and the turbo got broken.
It doesn't mean that the same will happen to you because I'm sure that there are several conditions that can trigger that message error on the computer.

At the time, I was complaining to Lancia garage that my car didn't felt like it had 220hp and they didn't care about finding the cause and they mess with the "air flow valve" or something similar ... 2 days later I got that message and 2 more and the engine stoped with a intercooler and turbo broken.

I'm sure your case is diferent but don't take it lightly.

Duarte - from Portugal
trc

Unread post by trc »

engine control, system failure it may be broken air flow meter. at least it was in my car.
cris

Unread post by cris »

Both stories from duarte and trc mention airflow meters or valves, so not wanting blown turbo or intercooler, (sorry to hear that, must have been painful :-( ) i'll look into it this weekend with the alarm,
cris.

Return to “47 Kappa”