green check light

smokeme

green check light

Unread post by smokeme »

anyone knows what it means when the green check light wont come on (engine doesn't start) when the ignition is turned on? what does it test?
Angle Grinder

Re: green check light

Unread post by Angle Grinder »

The Green check light doesn't really relate to any tests that would prevent your engine from starting. Unless you have no oil in the sump or no oil pressure and the engine has seized!!!

It suggests to me that you have a problem with your ignition switch as it is the check panel is "energised" when your ignition switch is turned on.

Does the starter motor turn? And if the starter isn't turning, can you hear the solenoid clicking?

I can maybe send you a new ignition switch after the weekend as I am stripping a Thema on Sunday.
smokeme

Unread post by smokeme »

must be something else then, just figured if i closed the door the light does come on lol

ok, i have a shop manual now so my tests are a bit more specific..
engine cranks and compression is spot on across all 4 cylinders(no change from dry and wet test at all)
fuel pressure is good and so is fuel delivery
injectors click when engine cranks (along with wet plugs)

i'm getting:
12v at the microplex (pin 12 is ground and pin 13 is +12v ignition switched)
12v at both ignition modules (pin 2 is ground and pin 4 is +12v ignition switched)
+12v on green black wire on coils (ignition switched)
no spark at all on plugs or any voltage going to the coils from the ignition module
12v on pin1 of fuel pump relay

i used to get same as above but also:
12v at coils with ignition on (mesuring across both wires on the connector)
weak spark on plugs
engine would try to start but stall
reading plugs indicated it was only running on cylinder 1 and 2, plugs 3 and 4 were clean

what i've done:

new plug wires
swapped coils with 2 known good ones i had (from the old engine, were good afaik)
new plugs
crank sensor and flywheel sensor both measure within spec for resistance tests as per shop manual

i'm out of ideias, either the microplex or the ignition modules are toast :(
Paddy

Unread post by Paddy »

Had a problem like that on a rebuild. Best option it to find someone with similar Thema and try swopping parts. What Thema version is yours?
smokeme

Unread post by smokeme »

series 2 16v turbo, i'm swapping all efi and ignition related parts from a parts car i got (it runs, so the parts are known to be good)

i still think it's wiring because i don't get ignition voltage to the main relay even though the ignition switch was replaced..

Return to “51 Thema”