Repairing VIS leaks

Angle Grinder

Repairing VIS leaks

Unread post by Angle Grinder »

I've been looking at a 1994 VIS Thema with just 81K miles. The car is sound in all areas except for a bit hesitation to accelerate when the engine is under load at 2500 - 3000 rpm.

The symptoms are similar to bad HT leads, but knowing of the VIS systems faults I am more inclined to believe that it will be air leaks in the induction system.

I know that there is a repair that can be done to the seals on the VIS, but I was wondering if anyone could give me an indication of the difficulty / cost of the repair?
Brian Hilton

Re: Repairing VIS leaks

Unread post by Brian Hilton »

Hi Mike,
Speak to Neil Smith at NJS Pershore 01386 555523, I know he has carried out this repair at least once at quite a reasonable cost, I also think there was a write up by someone in "Viva Lancia" a couple of years ago.
I know that TDC have a brand new Vis Manifold in stock, currently sitting in the boot of my Dedra.!

Best Regards
Brian Hilton
Micke

Unread post by Micke »

Hello,I've had this problem on a couple of themas,the best and cheapest solution is to change the vis system for the older 16V setup from '89-'92 themas.This will cure the problem as the vis are notorious for giving trouble.
Brian Hilton

Unread post by Brian Hilton »

Sorry but I wouldn't agree with a backward step to the old setup, think Micke has been unlucky, I've had 2 1993 LE Vis Autos & neither have had a problem, both cars covering over 100,000 miles.

If you intend paying the Lancia spares price then I can understand the reasoning, but if you go for repair rather than replacement, this should cost less than 20% the cost of a new Vis manifold, as invariably the problem is air leaks around the bearings.

Brian Hilton
john palmer

Unread post by john palmer »

can someone explain to me what vis means ,and i have an idle problem from cold, hard to start and auto choke only stays on for about a minute and still had intermittent rough idle when warm i have a series 2 thema turbo 16v ?????
Angle Grinder

Unread post by Angle Grinder »

Hi John,

Your car does not have VIS (Variable Induction System).

The problem that you have is most likely to be caused by an air leak that is letting air into the engine without it being measured by the Air Flow Meter.

Check the large diameter pipes that feed into the inlet manifold. If you squeeze these pipes you may see cracks in them.

Another less obvious, but very common source of air leaks is the Crankcase Breather Pipe where it enters the Throttle Butterfly Housing. This is a short pipe of about 15cm length with a bend in it. It is about the diameter of your thumb (a little thicker) and it is attached directly under the throttle housing and then attaches to a brass pipe that runs along the side of the engine and then passes under the exhaust manifold. The short rubber pipe becomes perished by exposure to oil and then it allows so much air to be sucked in that it completely messes up the air/fuel mixture.

If none of the above, then I would suspect the Air Flow Meter is the problem. The Thema Dedra Consortium have several spare at reasonable prices for members.
john palmer

Unread post by john palmer »

thanks for that excellent info it is much appreciated!!!!!!

Return to “51 Thema”