2000HF gearbox in an earlier Flavia Coupe? Is it possible?

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation New: electronic distributor
The Heretic

2000HF gearbox in an earlier Flavia Coupe? Is it possible?

Post by The Heretic »

Hello. I wanted to ask if it would be possible to transplant the ZF 5-speed gearbox of the 2000HF Coupe to an earlier Flavia 1.8 Coupe and if any modifications will be necessary. I saw that later Flavia Coupes (the 2-liter ones) could also accommodate a center console, a feature that was absent from the earlier cars. Does this have to do with any differences regarding the gear lever?

Thank you.
Michael Findlay

Re: 2000HF gearbox in an earlier Flavia Coupe? Is it possible?

Post by Michael Findlay »

I believe it is possible with a few complications. If you use the new gearbox with the old bell housing you will not need to worry about the engine mounting or the hydraulic clutch mechanism fitted to the later cars. Check that the clutch disk will fit on the input shaft as this also changed in diameter from model to model. It would be easier to swap friction discs rather than input shafts as the gearboxes are tricky to get apart. The remote shift should come through the floor panel in the same relative place as the lever. There is a 2000 centre console on ebay.it at the moment for a reasonable price.
Good luck with your project,
Michael
LanciaFin

Re: 2000HF gearbox in an earlier Flavia Coupe? Is it possible?

Post by LanciaFin »

I have only a Flavia 819 parts book (bought from viva-lancia), so I don't know about the 5-speed gearboxes any better. However, on Flavia 819 2.0 the gearbox (4-speed) lever linkage seems to be completely different from 1.5-1.8, and also the dash panel (fire wall) is different, suggesting that the gearbox lever linkage takes more space. So, be prepared to make modifications also to the body.

Return to “68 Flavia, Lancia 2000”