Turbo problem???

Ryan

Turbo problem???

Unread post by Ryan »

Hi
I recently bought a 1990 integrale in near perfect shape. However I have noticed a perhaps small problem. When I pass another vehicle (which is no problem) the turbo winds up at aroung 3500 rpms and I gain alot of speed, fast. Now when I get up to about 5000 rpms ( I don't stay there long) I notice that it feels like the car engine or turbo hestitates. Almost a very slight chug. But as soon as I shift its ok. this may be a stupid question but the integrale is the first car with turbo I've ever driven. Any asnwers, much appriecated.
And I also just want to add as well. Being an American, I can't think of one American car that compares the the integrale. I've left Mustangs far behind, Quick.
Kristoffer

Re: Turbo problem???

Unread post by Kristoffer »

hi, I`m really not a expert. You say the turbo hasitates when you reach 5000 rpm, maby its the turbo that turns off just in case of overheating..?

Well it could be as easy as this, but don`t disreguard other thoughts of any possible risks!

K.T
alan cooper

Unread post by alan cooper »

are you sure you mean 5000rpm??if it is higher it could be the rev limiter cutting in (say at 6500/7000rpm range) there is not much to be gained in revving the 8 valve turbo engines past about 5000 better to drive them in the torque band as they run out of breath a bit at high revs the gain in acceleration is at best minimal.
alan cooper

Unread post by alan cooper »

hmm...making an assumption here don't know where I got the idea it was an 8v as it could be 16v anyway comments are still pretty much valid.
JFP

Unread post by JFP »

What is the turbo pressure at this stage? are you full throttle? if yes do you see the overboost light on? if not and if your turbo pressure is going up and down, that is the overboost which is needing a bit of tuning.
giovanni

Unread post by giovanni »

Hi Ryan,

When the engine hasistate at high rpm how longe it is during????, what I mean is how meany seconds???, because when you notice that the engine don't want too rease the rpm than I think I now the solution! Before you must check one thing for me and that is: drive in 3e gear low rpm (+/- 2000 rpm) and suddenly open your trottle complete thill 5000 rpm and than lissing (with a open window) or there is a noise like a leakid inletsystem. If this is the case than look for this leakad.

Giovanni from the Nederlands
A.Brandt

Unread post by A.Brandt »

Hi
I know the problem with your engine, from my own Evo 1. To gain more power from the turbo engine, you can create a 1- 2 mm hole on the air pipe line to the wastgate. If this hole is to big, it cuts the engine and turbo around 5000 rpm.
Anders - Denmark
Derek

Unread post by Derek »

Ryan

The problem may not be directly related to the turbo, it may be caused by over/under fuelling. In both cases, the engine 'chokes' and causes mis-fires. There is a common fault, certainly in the UK, where the fuel pipes corrode, lose pressure, and 'spit' the fuel back into the tank. This causes the engine to under fuel; the symptoms you describe are common to this.

Do you get the problem from cold? Leave the car to stand, overnight, and then attempt to accelerate the car in the manner you describe. Note, don't wait for the car to reach operating temperature. If you don't have the same problems, i.e. the slugishness, then the fault could be the turbo, or perhaps some of it's related plumbing. When cold, the ECU will prevent overboost and limit turbo pressure to protect itself.

If you still have the problem, it may be related to worn cam lobes, forcing the car to mis-fire on that particular cylinder. Fingers crossed it's not that fault, mega-bucks to fix!!!

Hope this helps

Derek
giovanni

Unread post by giovanni »

Hi Ryan.

I like to read al kinds of solutions but the last one is I think the best, because Derek means misfires of the engine in case of high RPM.

I din't do notting beacuse I was weating on your answer on my question ????.but you din't respons!!!!!!!!

What you don't no is that I have realy oa lot of experience with this type of car, I rebault engine's give them more horse power etc example by using a special chip INT 2.0 16v Turbo = 280 Hp (Mike Taylor Car Sport)
INT 2.0 8v Turbo = 225 Hp ( Hormann Auto Sport)

OK now the solution....you must check the clearings between the rpm sensor and the weel on the cranksaft it must be 1.0 mm . Also check the clearing between the fase sensor and the nok it must be 0.3 mm.
I think this will give the solution

Giovanni
La mecanico di Lancia Integrale
Il Mondo di campionato /86/87/88/89

Return to “57 Delta, Prisma, Delta Integrale”