Pistons for 1800

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation New: electronic distributor
LanciaFin

Pistons for 1800

Unread post by LanciaFin »

I've collected my new project I told in my previous posts, and began to learn where have I put my money in...

So, recently I've disassembled the engine, and as expected, found needs for repairs. On three cylinders there was cracked top ring, and as a result of that and after cleaning all the dirt (which the engine has unbelievably much) away, I found serious grooves and some corrosion on cylinder liners. Honing won't be enough, I'll either need new standard size liners, or these originals have to be rebored and oversize pistons installed.

The bore of original cylinders is 88mm, the pin diameter is 24mm, and quick measurement revealed the compression height to be about 44.4mm. After some searching I found that Volvo B19 (or late B20) pistons have the same pin diameter, bore of 89mm and compression height of 46mm. I'm quite sure they can easily withstand 1.6mm machined off from their crowns.

Has anyone gone that way (used other than pistons made for Flavia)? The Volvo-pistons should be easily available, if they can be fitted. Any other options?

Another question is about the gaskets on cylinder liners: What kind of gaskets they are, O-rings or paper, or what? The parts book is not that clear.
Geoff

Re: Pistons for 1800

Unread post by Geoff »

Be careful about rings as well. They are not quite the simple answer they were years ago - make sure to get a known piston:ring:liner combination that works.

Also, for pistons, consider having them made. Not so much money and you can get what you want.... or else stock new ones are out there. Nothing wrong with oversize, unless you are out of wear limits... As to milling 1.6 mm off the crown, probably not needed if you find the right new ones or have some made.
Geoff Goldberg

1952 B20 s.2
1957 B24 s.6
1959 Appia Berlina s.2
LanciaFin

Re: Pistons for 1800

Unread post by LanciaFin »

You're right, there are still original (even new) pistons available. However, I guess the original 1800 head gasket with 88mm bore probably won't last too long with 89mm bore? Is there other difference to the head gasket of Flavia 2000, than the bore? So far I've only been able to find 89mm pistons, nothing between 88-89mm. When I get the engine parts to machining shop, they'll tell what is the minimum oversize I'll need.

Return to “68 Flavia, Lancia 2000”