Lowered front springs

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
John

Lowered front springs

Unread post by John »

Hello,

I would appreciate it if anyone who has replaced the front springs on a HPE with lowered springs has any advice or warnings that I should consider before making this change. If anyone has lowered the front, do you need to put shorter travel shocks in as well, of course this will depend on how much the front is lowered, but i was thinking in the order of 70-80 mm.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

John McIntosh
Brisbane, Australia
Hamish

Re: Lowered front springs

Unread post by Hamish »

John,
Your best bet is to try and track down a set of Volumex HPE springs which are marginally lower and uprated - the struts remain the same. I'd caution against going any lower than 45mm, more than that and the standard struts will 'die' quickly.... and the car will be riding on the bumpstops continually. You could consider a Leeda coil over conversion, it has been done but it is expensive (circa GBP 450 a corner....).
John

Unread post by John »

Thanks Hamish,

You answered the question I wasn't sure would get a response, and that is by how much the springs can be lowered before the struts gave up. This is great information as there is a coil spring manufacturer here in Australia who is well known here and abroad called King Springs who will make a new set of lowered and uprated springs, using the originals for the pattern, for $250 AU. They will also fit them for $160.

The original Koni struts have recently been rebuilt and should work well in the new setup. I figure I may as well get the bushes replaced while I am at it. Is there any feedback on the ones supplied by BetaBoyz?

Also, will the rear struts cope with springs lowered by 40-45 mm?

Thanks again, I appreciate your speedy response.
Hamish

Unread post by Hamish »

John,
I've been quoted eleswhere as saying the new bushes from www.betaboyz.co.uk are the dogs danglies! Top quality and surprisingly affordable, get a set as I think you'll be very very happy with them.
I'd be inclined to go for a 40mm maximum drop all round, the Konis do have an adjustment system which will allow you to set up the suspension relative to the new springs, the hassle is you have to take them out of the car to do it unless you have the top adjustables......??
As far as the springs etc go, see if they can uprate them with a 'progressive' feel, that will work well with the Konis. There have been several other posts on this subject and all things 'Beta' (all Lancia come to think of it!) at www.lancisti.net it could be worth your while trolling through the forum and picking up some tips.

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”