Anyone imported a Thesis into the UK

Tino

Anyone imported a Thesis into the UK

Unread post by Tino »

Just wondering if anyone in this forum has actually imported a used Thesis into the UK. I would be interested to hear about your experience - where is the best place to source one, how much the insuance is, etc? Trawling through the classifieds in Germany and France shows up some reasonable cars in the 20-25K Euro range (the diesels holding on to their value a lot better thank the perols). Ideal import would be a JTD 20V CAE Emblema ... here's hoping I win the lottery ... ;-)
Lindsay Rouse

Re: Anyone imported a Thesis into the UK

Unread post by Lindsay Rouse »

Hi Tino. I know of one Thesis in Scotland, brought new and brought in via a company in Slough called ECU automotive, so it must be possible. Biggest issue is with the headlamps, which i will ask on the forum. I am thinking of bringing one in as well, although a V6 Embelma. Insurance shouldn't be a problem through AON. My Kappa Coupe 20vt costs around £350 fully comp. To me Germany is the best source.

cheers
Lindsay
Tino

Unread post by Tino »

Thanks for the information Lindsay. I do recall ECU Automotive having a used Thesis 2.4JTD Auto but I think that was in Executive trim (no leather) and was priced at arounf £25K with only 7500km on the clock. The prices of the petrol versions in Germany are tempting but I dread to think what the fuel costs would be! Thanks for you advice on AON ... I have a classic car policy with them, so will check them out for a quote.

As for the headlamps, I think that because they are xenon/projector lens there should be some form of electronic or mechanical adjustment to switch beam direction. Hopefully this doesn't mean opening the headlamp units up to change the orientation of any parts. Maybe someone with a Thesis could check whether this is explained in the Owner's manual? I know that external beam deflectors won't work on this type of headlamp.

Are there any issues with the KPH speedo, or is that also configurable by the driver? The pictures of the speedometer that I have seen look like the speedo is engraved in kph.

Thanks
Tino
Lindsay

Unread post by Lindsay »

I agree ECU not exactly the cheapest way to do it! I have seen a couple of V6 with LPG conversions, so that would be the best way to go for me. I prefer automatics so a later Emblema jtd with 175hp and auto box would be ideal, but still too expensive. The thing that puts me off is the likelihood of losing £1000s when you come to sell it. No different from any other car but how easy to sell on in the UK? Have you seen the costs of the headlamps as well? Nearly £700 each so watch out for those flying stones!

If beam deflectors dont work then I think we need to be 100% sure of being able to adjust them or it will be a very expensive garden ornament.

I dont think the speedo can be configured. A case of putting on an overlay.

Enjoy the search!

cheers
Lindsay
Alexis

Re: Anyone imported a Thesis into U.S.A

Unread post by Alexis »

Let me know what all it takes to do this and how much it costs.

Thanks
Alexis

Re: Anyone imported a Thesis into U.S.A

Unread post by Alexis »

Thesis for sale

Please reply to info@miamiwinery.com

Return to “40 Thesis”