Y10 Brakes long pedal travel

Keith Turner

Y10 Brakes long pedal travel

Unread post by Keith Turner »

Any thoughts? brake pedal does not feel good tends to travel a long way & tends to sink with light sustained pressure. The master cylinder is only 2 years old, front calipers ditto, rear shoes recent, handbrake - not bad in forward direction short travel, not so good in reverse -it's always been like that. I wonder if the master cylinder is duff, that's what it feels like. self adjusters are as adjusted as they can be - several hard brake applications in reverse. brakes are effective enough if hit hard (but long travel) worn master cylinder seals? bit crap at only 2 years old. flexible pipes are also recent, no fluid loss.
Keith Turner

Re: Y10 Brakes long pedal travel

Unread post by Keith Turner »

I seem to be answering my own questions at the moment, is there anybody there? it's the pressure compensating valve, not leaking as such but letting air into the system, so no rear brakes. Has anybody got one? they are as rare as rocking horse poo around here or silly price £90 +VAT. Betacar are on holiday they list them at £25 ish + VAT.
Dean

Unread post by Dean »

I have a Y10 Fila 1.0 Fire. Car has only covered 70K and is in perfect mechanical condition. Unfortunately it has just failed the MOT on dodgy sills. However I would like to see the car go to good use so please feel free to e-mail me and make an offer. Thanks.
Jens Larsen

Unread post by Jens Larsen »

had the same problem on my '89 y10 Fire about a month ago. first I exhanged the master cylinder to no great effect, and the breaks did not pass inspection until after I had changed both rear cylinders and all brake shoes.

Return to “49 Ypsilon, Y10”