Y10 Fila Fire poor starting

Keith Turner

Y10 Fila Fire poor starting

Unread post by Keith Turner »

My Y10 is Driving me mad, It starts but only runs on 2 cylinders it will not respond to throttle just vibrates more if throttle operated. Eventually it fires on all cyls & runs OK. It seems to run rich but needs choke when cold. I have replaced plugs,ht leads, Distributor cap & rotor arm. also carburettor rebuilt by Carburettor Exchange Ltd. I replaced the head gasket recently head was skimmed made no difference to running.
Compressions are good & even. can find no sign of water in cylinders after overnight stop, synptoms are worse in damp/wet weather - Wales is wet! Anybody got any ideas? car is otherwise too good to drive off cliff!
Gotthardt

Re: Y10 Fila Fire poor starting

Unread post by Gotthardt »

Hi Keith,
I'm german an my technical english is bad, but i'll try.
Your problem is the electronic Ignition Chip. Its the "aluminium thing" with cooling ripps at the Distributor case. Its about 4*2 cm big.
First you can check it by remove it by screwing and take a look to the two plugs. If the contacts are black or brown, clean them and try it again.
If they are green, you can be sure that the electronic is damaged, but always you can clean and try.
Now, if nothing is better, you will have to buy a new chip, because its nearly unpossible to test it.
Its about 80 EURO.
Keith Turner

Re: Y10 Fila Fire poor starting

Unread post by Keith Turner »

Thanks Gotthardt
I had a look at the distributor & removed the the ignition module. You were close in your diagnosis, This time it was the insulation on the wires between the module and the sensor in the distributor, It was almost gone, how the ignition worked at all I do not know, the wires were bare and corroded. Also they were trapped between the module mounting and the distributor body. I have got a complete new distributor from Betacar in England for only 40 pounds + VAT - I think they have one more left, if you need one.

Return to “49 Ypsilon, Y10”