Check Panel problem

Paddy

Check Panel problem

Unread post by Paddy »

Just rebuilding a 1990 16v Turbo but both the charge and low oil pressure warnings on the check panel come on after start. Have checked wiring continuity and earths to the check panel connectors. Oil pressure switch works fine. Alternator voltage output is good. Any ideas?
Does anyone know what voltage should be on the white wire between the alternator and the check panel?
Paddy
Paddy

Re: Check Panel problem

Unread post by Paddy »

For info problem fixed. These warnings are activated by missing signal from connector C7 on check panel. Signal originates from Starter solenoid RV line which was loose. This should isolate fuel pump but speed switch relay was faulty, was stuck on and so masked problem. Paddy
Mike

Unread post by Mike »

Paddy,

I'm seeing the same combination of warning lights, so let me get this straight. The loose wire is the one that connects to the solenoid which is mounted above the starter motor...yeah!?
Paddy

Unread post by Paddy »

Mike,
There are two spade connectors on the starter solenoid; A red wire which takes the current from the ignition switch to the solenoid to activate the solenoid and also a red/green wire that takes current from the activated solenoid to the Speed Relay which holds it on until 225 rpm during start (>225 energised by pulse from the rpm detector). This red/green wire also goes to the ECU and to pin C1 on the check panel to advise the logic circuit of starter activation. The design logic is that the car does not run unless the line is activated during start but in my case the speed relay was stuck on and so the ECUs (fuel and ignition), fuel pump and ignition were powered unless ignition off. Interestingly the problem showed up as Low oil pressure and no charge after start. Another way of checking it is that the fuel manifold line is pressurised with the ignition on but engine stopped. It should only be pressurised if the starter is engaged or engine running.
The earth on the check panel that can also give problems though rarely - A6 or B8 (black wire depending on model) to the earth point on the steering column.
Paddy
Morné Joubert

Unread post by Morné Joubert »

I experienced the same problem on my 1989 16v Turbo. We rebuilt the engine and decided to redo my starter. While waiting for the new starter I "borrowed" my Dad's 1991 16v Turbo's starter and installed it to my car. The problem was found! The original starter had two lugs, where the borrowed one had one... After connecting this wire to positive on the battery the problem was solved.

Return to “51 Thema”