Alternative engine for Gamma

Gamma WW Registry
CJ

Alternative engine for Gamma

Unread post by CJ »

Hi,

Does anyone know of an engine that will fit into a series 2 gamma? I want shot of the 2.5ie as it's too much hassle and I don't want to sell the car or rebuild the engine, I would like to replace it with something that wouldn't require too much modification and perhaps better speed and acceleration. I am becoming quite desperate to find such an engine as I hope to strip and restore the car this winterready for spring of next year. I would really appreciate any help anyone can provide me with.

Regards,

CJ
Hermann

Re: Alternative engine for Gamma

Unread post by Hermann »

Dear CJ !

I don't like anonymos questions at all, however, I stumbled over the solution of your problem:

Look at

http://gamma.fslife.co.uk/p012

(and the following photo) and you will find a SAAB (!!!) engine squeezed in a Gamma.
Most probably you may "dig out" the owner through the clubs...

Years ago I owned a Gamma Coupe 2.5 ie too, however I never thought about putting any other engine in. A friend of mine, to whome finally gave the car, got the engine redone before it "died" prematurely.
An expert in Switzerland got the camshafts correctly hardened and reground, in the rockerarms he placed small inserts of tungsten-carbide (ex machinetool cutters), a perfect soluten for 300 years life...

Good luck!

Hermann
Hermann

Unread post by Hermann »

Sorry, I had forgotten the www and .htm in the address:

http://www.gamma.fslife.co.uk/p012.htm

Hermann
Christian

Unread post by Christian »

Hi CJ,

I would take a good look at the subaru impreza or perhaps earlier versions second hand for tweaking, a flat 4, same family of engine which is a must, as it is THE reason for such eminent handling which made the Gamma special and secured many victories in Rally for Subaru, visit their website where they have some engine drawings, subaru.com.. being asian it must/should be very reliable and with minimum maintenance and repair costs.

I think it could work, best luck, let us know bout the development if you go that way..

BR regards Christian
Theo Kyriacou

Unread post by Theo Kyriacou »

One of the great things of a good Gamma is it's engine. A well sorted Gamma engine should give years of reliable service and it's what gives the car it's superb road manners and its special character. Rebuilding the engine or changing it for a rebuilt Gamma engine should be much easier than engineering a change to a different engine.
Jason

Unread post by Jason »

...or maybe the Subaru flat-6 from the SVX ? 3.3 litres, 160bhp, ...doesn't redline until 7000rpm.
The two front-ends don't look too different in length, both were mounted in-line, and road testers back when the Gamma was new did question the fact they expected six cylinders for the money...
Giugiaro of ItalDesign did the shape so there's a link to help swallow the Asian connection!
gammania

Unread post by gammania »

I support the Theo's arguments : dont pain about all the bad legends regarding Gamma engines : with just some attentions and good service it will leave forevere and you will mantein your Gamma an original and rare true (and last) Lancia .
Ciao
Pierluigi
CJ

Unread post by CJ »

Well, thanks for all the feedback guys. A slight U-turn was taken and the car has been in storage for over a year now, i've decided to keep the engine that is in there as it is due for it's 36,000 mile service in just a few miles, a local Lancia specialst will be doing that for me. After that is done and two rust spots are repaired, two electric windows and a wiper motor fixed the car will be probably be going up for sale for the summertime. I will probably put an advert up here as well as various other Lancia enthusiast clubs, I would prefer if it went to the right owner, someone who knows how to maintain them and knows how to run them. Even the central locking and A/C are still working, with replaced sagging headlining! Will check back in the spring time! Thanks again.
john

Unread post by john »

thank you for mentioning the sagging headliner ! do all gammas have this feature ?
who can tell me what the solution is & how difficult it is to do ?
I am not really bothered by it, unless I would happen to wear a high-hat; but just knowing that it is sagging bothers me a bit. What if anyone sees it ! Actualy the family rides in the car & has never noticed it.
Or perhaps just think it should be that way. Or should I just ignore it ; since I am not 2m tall ?

Return to “53 Gamma”