Aurelia brakes - fluid

Appia, Aprilia, Ardea, Artena, Astura, Augusta, Belna, Aurelia, Dilambda, Lambda and earlier
Florent

Aurelia brakes - fluid

Unread post by Florent »

Dear Aurelia fans,

Has one of you ever used Silicon brake fluid in his Aurelia ? I'm currently overhaulling my Aurelia brakes system and I was thinking about using silicon brake fluid as I have to change seals and hoses all around.

As I've never experienced this fluid type in any of my Lancias, I'd be interested in getting feedback from those who did the change. Is it worth the try on the Aurelia ?

Thanks in advance

Florent
brian long

Re: Aurelia brakes - fluid

Unread post by brian long »

In a word...'dont'.
Just use regular fluid and change it ever year or so.

Cheers.

Brian Long
Florent

Unread post by Florent »

Brian,

As I did not get any answer, and especially no answer from someone who successfully changed for silicon, I was thinking about keeping DOT3 fluid.

I was worried about the spring in the master cylinder, it looks like it could be to small to provide a good piston return with a silicon fluid which is more viscous than the regular brake fluid.

I won't take any risk and I will follow your advice, Dot3 will be my choice.

Thanks for your help

Florent
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Why DOT3?

I have no experience with Aurelia brakes but on Flaminia, Flavia, Fulvia we use the regular DOT4 available on almost every corner of the street.

The manuals specify DOT3. Might that be just because DOT4 was not available at the time? The base fluid for DOT3 and DOT4 is the same.

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid
Florent

Unread post by Florent »

Huib,

As far as I understood, DOT4 has better performances regarding boiling temperature but I was told that DOT3 is less hydrophilic. As I do not race my Aurelia, boiling temperature is not the most important point to me and I'd rather use the best fluid regarding corrosion.

That's also why I was thinking about silicon brake fluid but as I did not get any good feedback, I will keep regular fluid.

Florent

Return to “75 Early Cars”