gear box problems

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
jw

gear box problems

Unread post by jw »

when shifting from 4 to 5 I end up in 3rd. Only by moving the gear lever with great force I manage from time to time to shift to 5th gear. At the same time it became impossible to get into rear gear.
Anyone who can tell what is wrong and what to do?
thanks in advance, JW
(1980 Beta Spider 2000, 2nd series)
Randy Adams

Re: gear box problems

Unread post by Randy Adams »

Hello. It sounds like your shift rod adjustment is wrong. This is a very easy job.

First, remove the battery. When you look down underneath the battery tray at the place where the shift linkage enters the transaxle case, you will see a vertical rod with threads. The end of this vertical rod has a slot for a screwdriver. You will also see the flanged end of the first (from the front of the car) horizontal rod. This is fixed on the vertical rods by nuts. Loosen the upper of these nuts. Once this is loose, apply the screwdriver to the end of the vertical rod. Adjust the rod until the shift lever in the car is perfectly vertical in the side-to-side axis. In other words, adjust the rod until the shift lever is not leaning toward either the driver or the passenger.

If the shift lever leans too far in one direction, you will have great difficulty engaging first and second. If it is leaning too far in the other direction, you will have the difficulty that you are experiencing, i.e., engaging fifth and reverse.

Don't forget to tighten the fixing nut on the vertical shaft after you have gotten the adjustment right.

This is one of the more delightfully easy adjustments on the Beta.
Leo Capaldi

Re: gear box problems

Unread post by Leo Capaldi »

True!
When my HPE was only a few months old I lost everything except 3 and 4. I assumed that the gearbox was broken but once I got home I found that the linkage had slackened off. Been OK for the past 21 years!

Leo

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”