converting distributor to cam driven

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
John

converting distributor to cam driven

Unread post by John »

Hi,

Has anybody moved the distributor on a 2 liter lancia from the block to the cam? What is involved? I am not considering doing the work myself, but would like to get an idea of what I am up for in terms of effort/expense as well as parts if required ie do you have to put a special cam in?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Regards, John
william van der Sman

Re: converting distributor to cam driven

Unread post by william van der Sman »

Hi John,
You will have to get a new cam whatever you descide. The options you have is inletcam-end driven like fiat 130tc and later beta's or exhaustcam topdriven (gear between cilinder 3 and 4) like early US betas or some Fiat 124 spiders and Fiat argenta2.0 ie. What is your reason for wanting another distributor position? Change to double carbs?
William.
John

Unread post by John »

Hi William,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am changing the carb to twin 40mm Webers and have obtained a new manifold for this but unfortunately, unlike the Guy Croft manifold it does not accomodate the distributor in its original location, which means it will have to be relocated and I am not sure what is involved.
The car is an '84 Beta.

Regards, John
Leo Capaldi

Unread post by Leo Capaldi »

Hello John,
An '84 Beta 2L engine should have the distributor on the end of the exhaust camshaft already. The 1.6L (like my HPE) has it driven via the oil pump drive (in the block). I suspect that the camshafts in your engine will have the appropriate drive slot alread so it is simply a case of finding an appropriate distributor and the mounting collar to go on the end of the cam housing.
The pickup in the end-on distributor will work ith the existing ignition pack but you may have to adapt the connector.

Leo

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”