Beta wheel rims

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
William van der Sman

Beta wheel rims

Unread post by William van der Sman »

Are all beta (coupe) aluminum rims suitable for tubeless tires (without tube)?
andy b

Re: Beta wheel rims

Unread post by andy b »

I'm also curious about this, having discovered that a previous owner had fitted inner tubes on all four wheels of my coupe (standard beta alloys), despite running tubeless tyres. Meanwhile I've been using a different set of rims and tyres, so the problem has yet to be solved, but I always assumed it had been done because the alloy rims were too corroded to make a good seal with the tubeless tyres. Was there some other reason?
I've always been told that it's a bad idea to put tubes in tubeless tyres, especially because tubeless tyres often have diagonal ridges on the inside of the tread face, which wear through the inner tube after a while. That seems plausible to me, having looked at the inside of a few of the tyres I've got kicking around here. So, should I go ahead and restore those alloys for a new set of tubeless?
Leo Capaldi

Re: Beta wheel rims

Unread post by Leo Capaldi »

Hello guys,
Yes all the Beta alloy wheels were designed to have tubeless tyres. As Andy says many people have fitted tubes (myself included) to get away from problems with corrosion around the bead seat. Most tyre fitters are reluctant to fit tubes but if they did their job properly and cleaned the bead seat then the tube probably would not be neccessary. So if you get the wheel rims refurbished then tubeless tyres should seal ok.

The corrosion problem mainly affects the "FPS" wheels, the "Chromodora" ones on later cars are much better.

Leo

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”