fuel tank

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
andy b

fuel tank

Unread post by andy b »

Hello all,
Does anyone know whether there's any difference between the fuel tanks of the first and second series beta coupes (carb models, not f.i.), or are they interchangeable? Mine has rusted through.
Hamish

Re: fuel tank

Unread post by Hamish »

Any Beta Spyder or Coupe (carb) fuel tank will fit.
andy b

Re: fuel tank

Unread post by andy b »

Thanks Hamish,
Can a tank from a fuel-injected car be used? What's the difference between that and the carb model?
Cheers,
Andy
andy b

converting f.i. tank for carb car

Unread post by andy b »

Having found a tank in very good condition on a 2000ie in a scrapyard, I had to grab it. So, can anyone give me some tips on converting it for use on a carb model? As far as I can see, the main differences are the filler pipe (on the ie model a metal filler pipe comes through the floor of the boot - carb model has rubber pipe all the way - shouldn't be a problem), and the fact that there are two or three more small hoses coming from the tank. I'm hoping that I just need to plug the extra hose fittings and maybe use my old sender unit from the carb tank. What's the best way?
Cheers,
Andy
andy b

The morning after...

Unread post by andy b »

Now that I've had a chance to look at the two tanks side by side, a few more ideas spring to mind. The filler pipe is not a problem - I'll just adapt the section of pipe that goes to the filler mouth on the rear wing.
The big difference is inside the tanks, because the carb tank just has a few simple baffles to keep the fuel pickup submerged, whereas the f.i. tank has a swirlpot arrangement (those who have looked inside the tank will know what I mean!).

First, I tried fitting the sender unit from the carb tank to the f.i. tank by bending the pickup pipe slightly to clear the swirlpot and swopping the fuel-gauge mechanisms. Well, it fits, but I reckon the pickup pipe ends up in a less-than-ideal position, because it's too close to the wall of the swirlpot.

It seems more sensible to try to use the same fuel inlet/outlet as the f.i. car. In other words, instead of drawing fuel up through the middle of the sender unit (carb version), leave the f.i. sender in place and connect the fuel lines to the normal inlet/outlet of the f.i. tank. So, can anyone identify the inlets/outlets of the f.i. tank?

The filler tube and the overflow pipe are obvious, but there are three other unidentified pipes. On the top/front of the tank, roughly in the middle, there are two pipes close together, which seem to feed into the swirlpot. One has a larger diameter and I think it drops straight down into the centre of the swirlpot. The smaller pipe seems to feed into the side of the swirlpot at a tangent (getting technical here...) to make the swirling effect. My guess is that the fuel is drawn up through the thicker central pipe to the pump, and that the thinner pipe is a fuel return from the pressure regulator on the injection rail. Can anyone confirm?

But what is that thin pipe that runs along the top right-hand side of tank and disappears into the rear of the tank? Another fuel return? If so, can I just split my single return line from the carb so as to use both return inlets? I realise that the swirling effect won't be very effective without the extra pressure of the f.i. system, but this still seems a better approach and less likely to cause fuel starvation.
Does any of this make sense?!? Help!

Andy

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”