B20 For Sale

Appia, Aprilia, Ardea, Artena, Astura, Augusta, Belna, Aurelia, Dilambda, Lambda and earlier
Ralph deMasi

B20 For Sale

Unread post by Ralph deMasi »

There is a B20 for sale at www.gullwingmotorcars.com in Astoria, Queens in New York

Either put Lancia in the search or look through the inventory which is in alphabetical order.

The price is $29,500 and very little descriptionregarding stuck motor, rusty floors, missing trim, etc.

If I could I would but I can't so I won't.

Dreams................

That's the first Lancia I have ever seen on their site in several years of perusing, that goes for the Bristol as well.
Geoff

Re: B20 For Sale

Unread post by Geoff »

Ralph -

Its an interesting car. It was a runner about some 4-5 years ago, and went down the road quite nicely. But apart from all the visible issues the car has, there is a matter of some rust.... Not for the faint of heart, to be sure.

Geoff
Geoff Goldberg

1952 B20 s.2
1957 B24 s.6
1959 Appia Berlina s.2
Ralph deMasi

Unread post by Ralph deMasi »

Geoff,

I guess you're familiar with the car then. Depending on where the rust was I wouldn't be to concerned, I has to practically reconstruct the sills on the B12 as well as the floors. If you start getting into where the rear suspension connects that may be another story. Anyway a car of that caliber would need to be entirely stripped and dipped and then investigated. It should be saved, unfortunately I'm not the savior this day.

Great article in the ALC newsletter by the way, I read it several times. Good way of comparing cars other than the old 0 to 60 and top speed. I was however surprised that the weight of the B12 was so close to the Merc 220s. My neighbor has a 1959 220s and with the steel doors, hood and trunk and straight 6 the size of a diesel engine I would have thought the weight was vastly more different.

Did the bearings get sorted yet?

Ralph
Geoff

Unread post by Geoff »

Ralph deMasi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Geoff,
>
> I guess you're familiar with the car then.
> Depending on where the rust was I wouldn't be to
> concerned, I has to practically reconstruct the
> sills on the B12 as well as the floors. If you
> start getting into where the rear suspension
> connects that may be another story. Anyway a car
> of that caliber would need to be entirely stripped
> and dipped and then investigated. It should be
> saved, unfortunately I'm not the savior this day.
>
> Great article in the ALC newsletter by the way, I
> read it several times. Good way of comparing cars
> other than the old 0 to 60 and top speed. I was
> however surprised that the weight of the B12 was
> so close to the Merc 220s. My neighbor has a 1959
> 220s and with the steel doors, hood and trunk and
> straight 6 the size of a diesel engine I would
> have thought the weight was vastly more different.
>
>
> Did the bearings get sorted yet?
>
> Ralph

Ralph -

Yes, the rust was up in the suspension mounts. Sills are, as you say, repairable. Curiously, the car ran quite well about 5 years ago, went fora 10 mile drive. It ran and braked just fine, good trans too. The doors shut well also. But it needs oodles of work to the body and steel.

Glad you liked the article. You are right about the 220 - MB was pretty clever at getting those things lighter than you'd think, and the B12 is getting up there in the weight, with all that lovely detailing, trim and refinement. Presages the Flaminia to be sure.

Bearings are.... getting sorted. The new conrods have arrived, look great, and fitted with thin shells are about the same weight as the old ones with bronze inserts. Look much stronger. Very nice. You can see them on www.lanciainfo.com, and the article is also there. Please feel free to comment there if you'd like.

We are waiting on machining a bit more, so the engine is still a ways off. the good news is that Bob Williams has dropped a B22 engine in the car and has been fixing all sorts of minor, but important running issues this past year. So fettling has been going on, and the car should be in great shape.

Geoff
Geoff Goldberg

1952 B20 s.2
1957 B24 s.6
1959 Appia Berlina s.2

Return to “75 Early Cars”