Appia engine main bearing size

Appia, Aprilia, Ardea, Artena, Astura, Augusta, Belna, Aurelia, Dilambda, Lambda and earlier
Dave Stebbins

Appia engine main bearing size

Unread post by Dave Stebbins »

Greetings All,

I am just starting the rebuild of my series 3 Appia engine. It came in several boxes with lots of spare parts and I am in the process of sorting through them and finding out what is good and what is not.

This is my first Appia engine and I have a couple of questions regarding the main bearings. First, I have an Appia shop manual on loan from a friend. I cannont find any specification for the diameter of the main bearing journal, I can only find a "sketch" specifying the assembling clearances. This shop manual is missing the first few pages - the first page present is 00/5. Could the crank bearing specs be on one of the missing pages?

I have a copy of the Automobile Engineer article about the first series Appia engine. It states that the main bearing diameter is 55mm, but I would like to confirm that this is correct for the series 3. Also, I would like to know if 55mm is the diameter of the journal or the bearing. My crank journals measure 54.22mm with a digital caliper. I am going to find a micrometer to make a more accurate measurement. Two or three sets of main bearings came with the engine, but each one has part or all of the indium lining worn off, so I assume I need to find new bearings - unless it is possible to have the lining renewed.

Many thanks,
Dave
lucasgeheniau

Re: Appia engine main bearing size

Unread post by lucasgeheniau »

Hi,

Attached pictures come from Appia CD2 (available at this site)

Hope this will do.

Kind regards

Lucas
Attachments
screenhunter_02 feb. 01 16.14.gif
screenhunter_02 feb. 01 16.14.gif (177.41 KiB) Viewed 908 times
screenhunter_01 feb. 01 16.13.gif
screenhunter_01 feb. 01 16.13.gif (191.12 KiB) Viewed 908 times
Dave Stebbins

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for the pictures. I did not understand the specifications for the under-size bearings until I read them again in the pictures. I now know I need to find 2nd under-size bearings.

Kind Regards,
Dave
Geoff

Unread post by Geoff »

Are you familiar with Don Cross' Appia Consortium in England? He may have what you need, and as an Appia owner, please consider joining.
Geoff Goldberg

1952 B20 s.2
1957 B24 s.6
1959 Appia Berlina s.2
Dave Stebbins

I read about the consortium on this web site. That's all I know about it. I thought Mike K? in PA is the guy to go to for parts in the USA.
Geoff

Unread post by Geoff »

Mike definitely is. But what Don is doing is different - he's trying to build a base of Appia parts that might not well be served through commercial interests - like remaking some stuff, having a tech'l newsletter, etc. Its not big, its not glorious, but its good someone is doing it.

There will come the day you need a part that Mike doesn't have, and the Consortium does.... and you'll thank them for being there. Supporting them up front isn't such a bad idea.
(altho I've been a bit late myself!)
Geoff Goldberg

1952 B20 s.2
1957 B24 s.6
1959 Appia Berlina s.2
TonyC

Unread post by TonyC »

Hi Dave,
What Geoff says is really true. I have done an almost complete resto. on a 3rd series and have purchased parts from both Micheal and Don. Both are indispensible if you are working on the Appia. The Appia conso. is definately a recommendation to join. Don does a great job finding and having things made.
Tony C
Tony Corbelletta
1960 Appia 3rd Series Sedan
Lt. Blue with Red Leather Interior (original colors)
Dave Stebbins

Hi Geoff & Tony,
I did join the Appia Consortium. Don is a great resource and was very helpful. Patient also as we had a little trouble getting my credit card to work. It all got sorted out in the end. Unfortunately it got warm enough outside for the Summertime house projects to start so work on the Appia has been set on a lower priority.

-Dave

Return to “75 Early Cars”