Appias across America

Appia, Aprilia, Ardea, Artena, Astura, Augusta, Belna, Aurelia, Dilambda, Lambda and earlier
Geoff Goldberg

Appias across America

Unread post by Geoff Goldberg »

Steve and Lynn Peterson are leading a charge of 3 or 4 "Appias Across America", to be joined by 3 (or so) Fulvias. They are taking historic Route 6 from California across the plains, just south of Chicago, to join the Lancia East Coast reunion Oct 3 in Wellsville, PA. From there they will continue east to the end of Route 6, in Massachusetts.

All are welcome to join - they plan on 250-300 miles a day, and some gentle touring as well. I hope to meet up with them in Chicago, and join them on the drive east to Pennsylvania in the B20.

Geoff

PS - posted here as two months with no news in this forum is a bit much!
walt spak

Re: Appias across America

Unread post by walt spak »

Geoff,

This is great news. I think I will join in. Oh, that's right, I am hosting the ALC East Coast reunion. Any way, I should hope that this thread will generate some more communication on this forum.

If it means anything, the Spider I just sold is being picked up tomarrow. I now have the Fulvia running, so pretty soon I can tackle the mechanics of the B-20 (after yor engine Geoff).

Walt
brian marler

Unread post by brian marler »

really i have to agree. the lack of posts to this forum is discouraging. i am working on restoring a 61 appia vignale and check the forums regularly for tidbits of information. it helps to keep me interested in the project to hear a little about the older cars every now and then.
brian
Geoff Goldberg

take a look at www.lanciainfo.com

Lots on Lancia and Aurelias, and even an Appia article. That should keep you well fed for a few days.
Florent

Unread post by Florent »

Brian,

My father and I are achieving the restoration of a 61 Appia Vignale.

We are in France but our car is one of the very few sold in the US as the first owner, a french man, bought the car when he was living in New York, he was probably a great Lancia fan as he brought his car back to France when he came home in 69. The car still has what was probably a specific US equipment (Lucas rear lights, speedo in miles, rear number plate lights...)

If I can help with infos, pictures...just let me know.

Regards,

Florent
brian marler

thanks for the replys,
my car is a 61 as well. i don't know any of the history of it unfortunantly. the car came from california but the previous owner is unknown to me. when i purchased it last year it had been sitting for many years. the owner had started the restoration and had many parts re-chromed and the interior is fairly complete. the body is really good and i should be painting it this winter. the engine runs very well but puffs a little blue smoke now and then. one day i am sure i will have to address that. one thing i am curious about is the heater fan. mine is missing. (i think). is it supposed to be located by the grille at the end of the fresh air duct? other things i am trying to source are the original side trims and turn signal repeaters and one of the front turn signal lenses.
cheers,
brian
brian marler

nice website,
what a beautiful little appia! i'm glad to see such a jewel in loving hands.
Robin le Roy

Unread post by Robin le Roy »

Hi,

My father is joining the lancia fraternity in the USA to co-drive across the USA in a fulvia 1600 sport.
He is very keen and it is a shame I won't be coming along ( usual work commitments) but hopefully we can do the trip again in one of our own cars in the near future.
At the moment my brother is setting up a website for our lancia register of New Zealand.
Well overdue as it will be easier to keep each other informed and share the common love of the lancia cars.
I bought an appia second series saloon a few years ago and recently bought another third series as well. The only appia saloons here in the country,and the only other appia known of is an appia convertible.
It will be a little while before I start working on the appia's there I first have to finish another project but I am keen to start on this little cuttie.
Cheers
Robin le Roy
New Zealand
Robin le Roy

Unread post by Robin le Roy »

Thanks Brian,

I am sure I will like the appia and it is also more practical now I have a young family. I hope to start working on my series two in about a year from now. I will remind my brother to set up a link to viva-lancia if he has not already done so.
By the way I saw a few appia saloons for sale recently in the US. Cheaper to buy than restore but only half the fun. Although sometimes I question that myself????
Regards
Robin le Roy
Geoff Goldberg

Having restored a couple of Aurelias, the unrestored route is always preferred financially, but rarely (for these cars) workable. Restorations are expensive, to be sure. But at least you have confidence that its all been done - if you are still conscious at the end of the job.

We got lucky with the Appia - but we've done the brake seals, master cylinder and a head gasket. Not bad for 12 years of ownership. However, these kind of unrestored, but good running cars are really hard to find. Sometimes, you just get someone else's unresolved problems.

No easy way out of this dillemma. No way to get a good restoration really cheap either.

Return to “75 Early Cars”