rear fog/reversing lights

cris

rear fog/reversing lights

Unread post by cris »

Hi there,
rear fog warning on computer, also noticed reversing lights and remote boot release all playing funny buggers every so often.
stripped bootshell away and the rubber duct between bootlid and the car, gave the wires a shake and was rewarded with a disco show of all four bulbs lighting at different times!
anyone know where the weak link is? have a nasty feeling its the wires themselves.
under the parcel shelve in the car has insulation and i dont want to cut that away if i dont have to. is there another multi-block in that area? common problem?
any help/experience greatly received!
cris (getting really fed up with the red check light now!!!!!)
Corrado-Roma

Re: rear fog/reversing lights

Unread post by Corrado-Roma »

Cris, I had thuis problem on my previous Kappa in NL too. It was not the wiring but the lampholders. Your story suggests though the wiring, notably the connectors, are suspect too. Most probable reason is moisture, or did anyone fuck with the wiring, trailer connection installed or so, or a damaged section making contact? I have 2 spare bulb holders which are kept in-house and dry. In case of a problem I replaced the one giving me a headache. Actually here in Italy the problem is non existent so I bet you it's moisture! Try contact spray and see (available in electronic stores). There are no connectors under the booth insulation, the first one is under the dash, left side, on the cable loom going to the rear. Oh, and you might check under the back seat if the clips have not damaged any loom section.
Good luck.
cris

Unread post by cris »

Hi C-R,
i'm hoping its not the wires, bulb holders seem pretty solid, shaking the wires between the bootlid and chassis, makes or breaks the connection.
will check everything this weekend, and remove the rear seat too, just in case, and give everything a squirt of contact spray. Car has never had a towbar fitted unfortunately, trying to source one now. noticed last night the interior boot light flickering too.
let you know how it goes!!
thanks, cris.
Karsten

Unread post by Karsten »

Hey Cris

BEFORE you start pulling out your backseat...
You mention that shaking the wires between the bootlid and chassis makes or breaks the connection. I'd almost be willing to bet that the problem is that lil piece of rubber band where all the wires are running through from chassis to bootlit. This is surely a common problem. Notice that the rubber band (including wires) are getting squashed when you close the bootlid.
A friend of mine had a 96 Kappa a few years ago and he couldn't open his boot with the button on the glove compartment. Former owner told my friend that "what I mentioned above" was the problem but he just didn't have any kind of mechanical skills at all so he couldn't fix it. I just cut up the rubber band a lil and found a couple of wires torn apart = a problem that's pretty easy to fix!
Corrado-Roma

Unread post by Corrado-Roma »

Karsten is dead right on his suggestion, Check the rubber connections and wiring at the entrance points of boot lid and car body first!!
cris

Unread post by cris »

hello,
duly noted kind people, will check the bridging rubber before i go making a mess of everything else, planned in for sunday, send a post if all goes well (or bad!).

cris.
cris

Unread post by cris »

hello,
thanks peter, i see there is a multi plug under the speaker, havent had time this weekend, will strip everything following saturday!.
cris.

Return to “47 Kappa”