unexpected.... radiator failure

giotis

unexpected.... radiator failure

Unread post by giotis »

hi!!
A month ago got an ac installation on my Ypsilon 1996. A few days ago the fan axis drilled (!!!!???) the radiator. Lancia claims that they are not resposnible about that. They also claim that something strange happened but has nothing to do with the installation of the brand new aircondition (including new fan, new radiator, ac components etc). They said that they have seen it before in another car. Does anybody now anything about that (Lancia recall, bad installation etc)????

thanks
Brian Hilton

Re: unexpected.... radiator failure

Unread post by Brian Hilton »

Hi,
Haven't heard of any problem, I've had my Y Elefantino Rosso since October 1999 with aircon fitted from new with no problems up to now. (hope I haven't just jinxed it!)
Haven't heard of any recall although mine is a personal import to the UK so it's not impossible that I wouldn't have ben told anyway.

Regards
Brian
lydia

lancia ypsilon Y

Unread post by lydia »

You say you have a personally imported Y in the UK - please tell me how you adjusted the headlights to comply with the requirements of the DVLA.

You help is much appreciated - I'm finding it very difficult to find this information.

Thanks,

Lydia.
leo capaldi

Re: lancia ypsilon Y

Unread post by leo capaldi »

Hello Lydia,
I don't think anyone has done this. I think that you need to have a sympathetic MOT-man. Walkers garage may be able to help or possibly Omicron. Both organisations have dealt with Ypsilons.
The main problem is that the lens incorporates the beam shaper. The bulb alignment controls the basic direction and could be rotated by filing the lugs or perhaps by rotating the holder on the back of the reflector. Rotating the bulb may be enough to reduce the dazzle to oncoming drivers but I would expect that the beam brightness would suffer (slightly). I know that some people use the deflector lenses that can be fitted for driving a UK car on the continent but MOT-man should not pass that.

A good mechanic/electrician should be able to tackle the bulb re-alignment.

Buona fortuna, Leo
Brian Hilton

Hello Lydia,
sorry for not answering before, As Leo says, you really need a understanding test station, I usually turned the headlight aim switch to the lowest position and never have a problem with the test, although since I moved house, my now local testing station, are happy to mask the appropriate bit of the lens that causes any dazzle, and after passing the test leaves it up to me to remove or leave in place. if you look in Lybra their is quite a bit of advise on this subject under "Headlights"

Regards
Brian
Brian Hilton

Further to my previous, I don't think you will achieve anything by trying to physically alter the headlamps as the direction of the light spread is governed by the pattern in the lens.

Brian

Return to “49 Ypsilon, Y10”