Valves and guides with/ without valve stem seals

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
lancia7550

Valves and guides with/ without valve stem seals

Unread post by lancia7550 »

Hi, I did a search on this topic but could not find anything on the forum.

I am in the process of having my S1 Rallye 1.3S engine reconditioned. The engine reconditioner noted that I need new valve guides, but that my valves are good. My car currently does not have valve stem seals.

I have order all the engine parts I need from France, including these valve guides:
https://www.pieces-fulvia.com/valve-gui ... models.htm

The vendor states "also compatible for fulvia series 1 without original valve seals."

My questions are:

1) are valve stems and guides the same for engines with and without valve stem seals other that just the machining for the seals (i.e. does those without seals have a smaller tolerance to compensate for the lack of seal)
2) are these guides I ordered therefore really "compatible" with the series 1 without seals, or is there a chance that they might have a bigger tolerances?
3) should I therefore install valve stem seals?

I have read that installing valve stem seals when they were not originally fitted to S1 cars might cause premature wear due to the lack of lubrication of the stems, so would prefer to go without the seals if the available guides have the same tolerances as original S1 guides. Any advise would be appreciated.
Huib
Site Admin

Re: Valves and guides with/ without valve stem seals

Unread post by Huib »

Best put the seals.

Your remarks on material are correct. BMW also uses 7mm stems. I use BMW guides. And Viton seals.
lancia7550

Thanks Huib, I will install the seals with the new guides. There is a set in the engine gasket set I bought (black), but I might discard those and hunt for Viton seals as it is impossible to know what quality those in the gasket set would be...
dvillijg

Unread post by dvillijg »

Hi Lancia 7550,

your post couldn't have come at a better time as I had exactly the same question. Just out of curiosity what make are the valve stem seals you received with your engine gasket set?

I have sabo-03044 seals that came with my set but based on Huib's feedback I might also consider changing these. Has anyone else had experience with Sabo seals?

Thanks
lancia7550

[attachment=0]20231109_203528.jpg[/attachment]

Sorry, the seals are at the engine builder so will check next time I am there.

The attached valve guide to stem tolerances are from the S1 workshop manual (A and B). I would appreciate if someone with an S2 manual can perhaps check for me what these values are for the S2 valves/ guides with seals?
Attachments
20231109_203528.jpg
Last edited by lancia7550 on 09 Nov 2023, 08:37, edited 2 times in total.
lancia7550

I managed to find an S2 manual. Valve/ guide tolerances are the same as S1. I wonder why the valve stem seals were fitted on S2 and not on S1?
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Good question.

I always assumed valve stem seals did not exist in the sixties.

Return to “65 Fulvia”