Redline of 1.3s Rallye?

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
Robofc

Redline of 1.3s Rallye?

Unread post by Robofc »

Hi,

I just got a 1969 1.3S Rallye and want to know the redline. The peak power is at 6000 rpm but what’s the redline. The tach has it starting at 6000.
Robofc

Re: Redline of 1.3s Rallye?

Unread post by Robofc »

Anyone know the redline?
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

The question is difficult to answer. From a sort of legal standpoint any car which is over 25 years old is unique. At least that is what I found in Dutch court rulings about insurances matters. It means that if someone causes damage to your car he (or his insurance company) can not get away by paying you a so called market value. There is no open market as the car is unique. They should pay the repair whatever the cost is.

Technically a car from the 60's typically consists out of 12,000 parts. For all those parts the warranty expired some 50 years ago or the parts were replaced by imitation parts. If we take apart an engine for rebuild, it NEVER happens that all bolts are at the right position with exactly the correct length and correct strength and correct torque (unless of course it is opened for the first time (very rare)). Most of the time the thicknesses of the gaskets are also incorrect. Timing of distribution is incorrect.

When the Rallye 1.3S was produced, there was no red line specification in any of the books. Since you ask exact technical information, it helps to phrase the question exactly. There is no linea rossa specification in the books. There is a maximum rpm specification.

When Lancia stopped the support of the car, the owner became responsible for all specifications. The owner sets the red line. Remember that the Fulvia engine is a short engine with a single head narrow V4 lay out. The crankshaft has only 3 main bearings. The flexing of the crankshaft is higher than for crankshafts with 5 main bearings. Make sure that the sum of static and dynamic ignition advance is never more than the spec.
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Documentation is available here.
https://viva-lancia.com/specials/cd/fulvia-cd.php

In the Technical Data Book (DT - Data Tecnici) you find lots of data and graphs.
racing

Unread post by racing »

If you asked for the limit of the rev you have to know the conditions of the engine at least.

That means you have to know if there are parts optimised reviewed and so on. Or the engine is
still in original condition

The red line is up to 6400 rpm. So don´t exceed this and do not stay there a long time. This protects the engine
and will help you to have fun a long time.
Regardless, trust Huib Notes.

regards Andreas
Robofc

Unread post by Robofc »

The engine is in well maintained original spec for a 1969 1.3S Rallye.
Learjet

Unread post by Learjet »

Why would anyone want to go to 6,400 or even 6,000 on a 50 year old engine? the power curve is pretty flat after 5,000. That's my red line and hopefully will not have to shell out £10,000 for a rebuild.
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

I agree.

I can understand the question though from someone young who grew up with 1,111cc engines doing 11,111 rpm or whatever BIG BMW engines seem to be today (I have no idea)

Return to “65 Fulvia”