Inspecting bearings without removing engine

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
Learjet

Re: Inspecting bearings without removing engine

Unread post by Learjet »

The cross member is flat on the bottom side with two vertical parts to it each about 1.5 cm in from the bottom edge so I guess the bottom is about 2-3 cm narrower than the top. Is that what you mean?
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

20230919_165152.png
Learjet

Unread post by Learjet »

OK guys.
My sump is loose but I cannot "wiggle" or "wriggle" it free of the oil strainer. My car is a series 1 sport so and I know about the problem with the cross member.
My cross member is U shaped with a wider strip welded at the bottom (road side). Huib has mentioned that with this cross member it should be able to
get the sump free of the strainer. What am I doing wrong? Is it just a case of my wriggling is not quite correct but it does seem that the sump hits the cross member before clear of the strainer. so
1/ Tips please for wriggling the sump clear.
2/ Would grinding a mm or 2 from the flange of the cross member help?
3/ Removing the cross member looks a pain and I guess putting it back would be even worse. Any tips from those who have done it??
4/ Maybe time to get the cross member changed for a series 2? Who supplies them?
Thanks
Andrea Nistri

Unread post by Andrea Nistri »

I am afraid you will have to remove the cross member, it is a pain so you will have to bite the bullet. Andrea
Learjet

Unread post by Learjet »

I have a good luck crossmember and managed to get the sump off today. The side member was bent fowling the sump twisting and dropping.
Investigating the rumble in the engine under load. #1 big end shells were in 3 parts with the tangs missing!! I suspect it may have been spinning.
Amazingly the crank journal looks OK. The 3 other big ends are fine. I will try and post a picture. Engine only done 18,000 kms from O/H
big end shells.JPG
Attachments
big end shells.JPG
Learjet

Unread post by Learjet »

Has any one seen that before? I suspect the last rebuilder managed to put a shell in the cap the wrong way around. The bolts should only be about 35 ft lbs but they were incredibly tight (I estimate double that) so whe the rebuilder tightened the bolts he had to crush the shell to make the caps fit???
Any ideas?
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Never seen before. Amazing.

You did well in getting the thing off. At first it seems you can't get the sump off. Take a good night rest and try again. There is a sneaky twist.
Learjet

Unread post by Learjet »

Huib. Have you seen big end bearings break like that?
Andrea Nistri

Unread post by Andrea Nistri »

If you know who built this engine, stay away from him...Andrea
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Learjet wrote: 04 Oct 2023, 21:25 Huib. Have you seen big end bearings break like that?
Exactly similar I have not seen yet. Plenty of other though. A car of the 60's typically consists of 12000 parts.

It is also an advantage that homo sapiens has the capability to see things differently. It is the fuel of evolution. If not we would all have been carpenters. And we would not have had Fulvia's. Yes I do the physical exercise of walking backwards every day. A few steps is enough. A lot of people fly all over the world to broaden their horizon. Doing a step backward is efficient and less polluting.

Return to “65 Fulvia”