what's the difference

m!

what's the difference

Unread post by m! »

Hello there,

Thanks for taking a look at this thread and maybe for you serious Delta head's this might be a bit os a stupid question but here goes...

What are difference's between a Delta Integrale 16v and an EVO 1&2

Apart form the cosmetic differences, price and age of course, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the technical differences were?

I am also curious as to whether there are any differences in driving them and looking after them, if any and if one could throw in some 8v theory that would be great because as I understand they have their own peculiaries that owner's love over newer (or even older) Delta's

I already own a Lancia but it's a bit of a beast so I'd like something a bit easier to drive and something my mum can get into (buckets are a bit tough on her) so I'm looking at a second Lancia (sorry... I got the bug bad). I've looked at most of the Delta range but apart from cosmetic and slight performance differences I was wondering what I should go for - this being my first Delta, an 8v, 16v evo1 evo2 Martini (yeah right!!!) but the info would be helpful. It would also be helpful for other's who want to buy a Delta to know what experience other Delta owners have.

Many thanks for all your help
From a fellow Lancisti
m!

Re: what's the difference

Unread post by m! »

ps

It's a car I'd like to keep
Simon

Unread post by Simon »

M,

Basic differences are 16V is a 16V head on the old 8V engine which gave an increase in power from 165 to 185bhp (think). Models with Kats came with 8V engines

Evo1 were re-engineered with wider track front and back, the engine was from the Thema but tweaked to provide 200bhp. The power distribution was also alterned front to back. Rear door flared arches where actually formed on the skin where 8V & 16V were welded onto the skin. Models with Kats came with 8V engines

Evo2 this had some mods engine power increased to 215bhp, and included a kat. You can spot the difference inside because it came with the big wing seats.

Special editions where basically paint jobs and internal trim detail, a couple based on Evo 1 but most on Evo2

Simon
England
m!

Unread post by m! »

Thanks for that :)

Could you let me know running costs on average for each of the models?

I spoke to someone the other day a he reckoned that you'd need 2 to 2 and half thousand pounds a year fro an EVO. I think that this would be as a daily car. I would want to use the car less than 3000 miles a years so what do you think?

Oh! one final question. How easy are cam belts to change yourself

And are there any other service items one could do oneself?

Thanks very much in advance
Simon

Unread post by Simon »

M,

I do not know how much you know about the Integrale compared with a scooby and Mutsi. You must take into account that they were built for one thing only and that was for homologation to go rallying.

This means that they did without the roll cage and put some back seats in, this means that it was not designed to be used everyday. As you say you will only use it for about 3oo mile a year cost should not be too bad - depending on the condition of it when you buy it.

The suspension bushes need doing regularly, say every 20K miles, you will need a service once a year.

As for changing the belts, If you are competant enougn you should be able to do it, but change the bearings at the same time. You will need to move the engine to get in. Where I take my Delta 2, they remove the engine and check other items when it's out.

As for which to buy, that depends on your budget. Just remember that the youngest Evo 2 is now some 12 years old. Much will be on the condition of the Car and make sure it has a service history, 8V and 16V are in that cheap car category where maintenance could have been skipped due to cash restraints. Some say the old 8V are a stronger engine that the later 16V. do not rush out and buy the 1st good one. The old addage the new lower mileage car your money can buy does stack up when buying. Also suggest that you budget for a new cam belt and suspension bushes as soon as you buy to ensure that the main thing are correct, I would suggest that £1500 to cover this and other thing that may be found.

Trying looking at Omicrons, Richard Thorne & John Walley for England. Another good site is www.autosupermarket.it for theitalian autotrader site.

Regards

Simon
m!

Unread post by m! »

Thank you very much Simon your help will be invaluable.

m
:)
Mark

Unread post by Mark »

If your requirement is a lancia that you can use as a daily driver and that your mum can get out of easily then your best bet is a Thema, or a Dedra.

Alternatively, a Delta HF turbo would be far better than an integrale. (and offering similar performance in the dry.)

Return to “57 Delta, Prisma, Delta Integrale”