diff-icult situation??

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
Ben

diff-icult situation??

Unread post by Ben »

Excuse the corny pun.
I have a diff [or maybe gearbox] thats made lots of whirring noises and finally gone clunk as expected. I have a donor, but its from a beta saloon, and has a spline shaft coming from engine side of diff instead of the flanged coupling on both sides like the monte's.

Q.1 Can the spline be removed and replaced with the monte's coupling by removing diff on both, dismatling and swapping?

Q.2 Can the monte's diff be removed insitu? or does whole engine need to be removed?

Q.3 Does the gearbox explode into thousands of bits if you unbolt it's casing? or is it as straight forward as the diff?

Q.4 Anybody interested in buying a tasty green monte in Australia? Forsale after repair.

Cheers for any help!
Ben.
Leo Capaldi

Re: diff-icult situation??

Unread post by Leo Capaldi »

Hello Ben,
I don't know for sure but I think that the output flange as on the Montecarlo will simply plug in where the splined shaft comes out - ie the spline diameter and "cuts" in the differential is the same for the Beta shaft as it is for the Montecarlo flange.
Someone must know about this job though - I would like to know the outcome as my transmission is very snatchy and whiney, and I know where I can get a Beta box.

Leo
Ben

Unread post by Ben »

Will let you know. I just got the engine out this evening, and will pull transmission off tomorrow.
Martin O'neill

Beta Gear Box

Unread post by Martin O'neill »

Yo Leo,

Not going to sacrifice the HPE I hope!

Ciao
Ben

Unread post by Ben »

Well, quite surprised but the replacement Beta box went in 'fairly' straight forwardly. Not as smooth as I'd hoped but it does work. I'll write up proceedure and post it, or post a link to it. Got some pics of the job too. If you don't hear from me, prompt me to do it! Busy with all sorts at the moment...
leo capaldi

Unread post by leo capaldi »

Well done! Great news.
This is definitely something that will help other owners a lot.

Leo
Ben

Unread post by Ben »

So I finally got around to documenting the operation.

http://lancia.benphillipsdesign.com

Good luck to anyone thats game...
Ben.
leo capaldi

Unread post by leo capaldi »

Oh deary me! I closed my eyes when I saw the grinder in action!
This is brilliant timing Ben, I collected an HPE 2L transaxle today am just having a cup of tea before unloading it. My montecarlo is now seriously leaking transmission oil so am going to have a go at putting in the fwd unit. My only experience of gearbox work was when I replaced a bearing in an Imp transaxle. This was many years ago and in my ignorance I didn't pre lubricate the bearing with the result that the thing seized solid within 100 metres (they were yards in those days). So I will invert the Beta unit and try to slosh the oil about a bit and overfill it.

Many thanks for you efforts, Leo

btw love the colour of your car, not ever seen one like that apart from the advert on the ski slopes, mine is the boring red.

Return to “59 Montecarlo, Scorpion”