Tail-Light + Numberplate-Light >>> FAILURE

Duarte

Re: Tail-Light + Numberplate-Light >>> FAILURE

Unread post by Duarte »

> Ah yes, but I think so many Themas are still on the road
> because they don't use unreliable little black boxes costing
> 400 euros to do the same job as can be achieved with a simple
> on/off switch and few metres of wire.

The mentioned box exists to control and gather information about the light/device status, then give it to the onboard computer. If it was only to control, there was no need for a central box but to gather the information about the status. They could come up with a box for every light or device but that would be more expensive, so you get only 1 box that, if it goes wrong, you get a lot of failures and an expensive repair.
I believe that the box itself can be repaired but they don't do that in dealer shops and in Portugal you're not allowed to bring the replaced parts. They must be proprely destroied - so it's the law - crap!
But I do believe that if you take the box to a guy that works with electronics, maybe there's a simple and cheap repair.

Karsten mentioned that his car is from 1999, well I own a K2.0 T from 1999 too. Maybe there was flaw on those boxes from the start.
Angle Grinder

Unread post by Angle Grinder »

Hey Lindsay what year is your Kappa 2.0 T?

Have you walked round the back of it lately to see if its got any lights?
lindsay

Unread post by lindsay »

It's a 1998, far more reliable than a '99! I don't need lights anyway, it doesn't go anywhere. Bring on some more Thema v Kappa jibes. I'm with Karsten. Kappas are great! (but I do have a soft spot for Themas, having had a few, 10 or so!)
trc

Unread post by trc »

It's a 1998, far more reliable than a '99

why you think so? can you explane it. is 1998 and 99 are the same engin 162kw?
Karsten

Unread post by Karsten »

Hey TRC (and all others)

I am pretty sure than Lindsay is joking bigtime!

And yes 1998 and 1999 is exactly the same if we are talking about the 20VT engine (+updates) that came around the 1998.
And of course everyone has to have some kind of soft spot for the Thema, cause if there was no Thema there would most likely never have been any Kappa. I can live with the price for this box because it has warned me about several faulty lights (the ones I can't see when I am driving)... if the police has a borring day here in Denmark it could cost me 500Dkr = 70euro if they on top of that have a bad day and don't believe that it just happened... auch luckily never happened to me.
justin

Unread post by justin »

I haven't had any electrical problems but I have to agree on ONE point here - the Thema DID actually disappear outside my house while I was watching - rotten thing made of Weetabix, but I loved it!
I bought the Kappa SW because a. I couldn't get another decent Thema Estate, and b. it had to be a Lancia Estate, you understand..
No question the Kappa is a better car - quicker/newer/more comfortable/rust-free/better-looking(?), but there isn't nearly as much space in the back, for all the split level flooring etc, and I think it's probably heavier.
That's my only criticism.
Anyway, Lancias are fantastic cars that people will always maintain way beyond economical/practical sense, just for the joy of driving them. I know I did with the Thema and still do with the Fulvia.
Not many manufacturers can lay claim to that kind of loyalty.
Viva Lancia!
Jus
Lindsay

Unread post by Lindsay »

Karsten is right. I was only joking - as someone said their problem was a 1999 car. No difference, to my knowledge, between a 1998 and 1999. Except my electrics all work! :o)

That's the kiss of death laid now...............
Karsten

Unread post by Karsten »

Haha exactly Lindsay... you answer should have been more like "my electrics STILL works!
Lindsay

Unread post by Lindsay »

Yes, true. For all I know the gremlins have already struck. Mine has done around 10km this year, and we all know how Lancias love sitting doing nothing........ In fact the last time I went to take it out for a quick run, the brakes had siezed on, so with too many revs and a HUGE clunk, they let go....

using it may help with this problem of course...
Karsten

Unread post by Karsten »

Just be happy that the handbrake is connected to the rear wheel brakes instead of the front... "Brembo" ;-)

Return to “47 Kappa”