why at 35,000 rpm?

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation
LLOYD

why at 35,000 rpm?

Unread post by LLOYD »

I HAVE AN '81 ZAGATO THAT CUTS OUT EVERY TIME AT 35000 RPM IN BOTH NUETRAL AND IN GEAR.IT COMES BACK WITHIN 26000 RPM
I'M FAIRLY CONFIDENT ABOUT THE FUEL LINES, VACUMES, INJECTORS, AND FILTERS ASWELL AS THE PLUGS, DISRIBUTER, WIRES, AND EVEN A NEW DISTRIBUTER COIL PICKUP.
THANKS IN ADVANCE, LLOYD
LLOYD

Re: why at 35,000 rpm?

Unread post by LLOYD »

SORRY, GOT CRAZY WITH THE ZEROS...
Lancialot

Re: why at 35,000 rpm?

Unread post by Lancialot »

Sounds like your digiplex unit (assuming this was fitted to USA spec cars) is playing up, otherwise would suggest points/condenser etc but I'm fairly sure these were redundant on the Beta range by '81. Good luck in finding your fault, but that's where I would start.
Bryce Ludwig

Many ideas

Unread post by Bryce Ludwig »

If the ignition components are all good, and set correctly than I'm left to say it's a fuel pump. The injected cars will run, but not rev with bad pumps. I know from personal experience on my 1981 Zagato. I learned this 150 miles into a trip from Tucson to Kansas City after buying my car. If not the pump or any ignition stuff it could be that your timing belt has jumped a tooth (but they typically run horrible and rev beyond 3500 in this case). My money is on the fuel pump. You probably also have rust and crud in the tank. The little screen in the tank pickup is probably covered and is blocking the fuel flow. Clean this and if you still aren't getting good running the pump is probably damaged. You can buy the Master brand E2000 pump (say that you want a pump for a 1986 Ford LTD with 3.8L V6) at Advance Autoparts for 1/2 the cost of a new Bosch pump.

Ciao,
Bryce Ludwig.
Randy Adams

Re: Many ideas

Unread post by Randy Adams »

I also have a U.S. market 1981 model (coupe in my case). Your problem can be so many things. I also suffered a problem with my engine hitting what felt like a flat spot around 3300 rpm or so. I tried replacing the air flow meter. No change. I changed the fuel filter. Improvement for a while. I had the fuel lines blown out with compressed air. Improvement for a while. Finally, it turned out to be the fuel pressure regulator which simply was not allowing enough fuel pressure to build. Problem solved at last.

Another fix you might consider, to avoid future misery: The Marelli breakerless distributor is a disaster. The pickup wire is guaranteed to burn through its insulation every two or three years at which point the car will begin to run very badly if you are lucky or just stop altogether without warning if you are NOT lucky. The solution is to replace the distributor with the Bosch unit for the fuel injected Fiat X 1/9. Have the Bosch unit re-curved to get the correct advance.
Lancialot

Or just get a European spec Bosch distributor for the correct engine!
Randy Adams

Unread post by Randy Adams »

Yes, but unfortunately you will still need to change the advance curve of a Euro spec unit to make sure the car passes the U.S.'s evil smog tests. For those of us marooned out here in the states, the X 1/9 unit is probably easier to locate.
Lancialot

Wasn't too sure about the need for lots more advance, I am sure you are right but would it still not be easier to source a Euro spec distributor specificaly meant for the engine and adapt from there? There are (from memory!) one or two companies (in the States) offering special deals on obsolete Fiat/Lancia parts. I can't remember which ones, but am sure if you go to this webring and list sites the ones I am thinking of can be found. Who knows? By now Lloyd may have it sorted.

Return to “61 Beta, Beta spider, Beta Zagato, Trevi”