Ignition coil

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
badbadchimp

Re: Ignition coil

Unread post by badbadchimp »

Ok very good to know. I'll have to have that checked by a more capable mechanic than me if the ignition tune ups don't sort the problem out.
badbadchimp

Hi again Huib -

I believe my S1 does have a fuel pressure regulator (with glass jar) but I don't see any screw or other valve on the unit that allows me to adjust the pressure or attach a gauge to check what the pressure is. Do you recommend I swap the original out for a current Filter King 67mm and add a pressure gauge to it to dial in the ~0.1 bar you recommend for my Dellortos?

Here is a photo of my current system which show the plastic fuel filter and then what I imagine is the the factory pressure regulator with glass jar, but no apparent screws to adjust pressure or anywhere to even check the pressue.
IMG_2730.JPG
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

I can just read the VIN. Your car is a 818.330. The model is Rallye 1.3 without S. It did originally not have a filter nor pressure regulator. The Rallye 1.3S had newer generation carbs requiring 0,2 bar fuel pressure. The Rallye 1.3S was introduced late 1968. Only 152 pcs were produced in 1968. The factory mounted a combination pressure regulator / fuel filter. It was bolted to a special bracket welded to the side of the right front leg.

The device shown on your photo is an aftermarket filter only. As you noted, it does not have a pressure regulator function.

I would mount a paper filter before the pump as on your car. The pump has tiny membranes doing the valve function. Dirt in those valves reduces the efficiency of the pump. Thus mount filter before the pump (unless you have a new tank with a new filter at the bottom and new fuel lines and new ethanol resistant hoses).

Then as you suggest the filter King between pump and carbs on the place where your filter sits now. Be careful when adjusting. The adjust screw almost drops out at the 0,1 bar setting. Pressure a bit over 0.1 is acceptable. Do some trial and error.

The original see through fuel hoses were not unleaded resistant nor ethanol resistant. I see that they were replaced by rubber hoses which are likely unleaded resistant. They don't look ethanol resistant to me. Best replace all fuel hoses by ethanol resistant hoses. Do not forget the short piece of hose connected to the tank.
badbadchimp

This is fantastic advice. Thanks again so much, Huib!

The filter below (appearing upside down) the glass jar filter should be sufficient, correct? That is, do I need to replace that, too, or just swap out the glass jar filter for a Filter King and replace hoses with ethanol resistant ones?

JL
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Yes. Get rid of the glass jar thingy. Put the Filter King in its place. You may have to unscrew both halves and rotate 180 degrees to get in- and output in the right place. Put a plastic throw away filter before the pump like the one you have now. The one you have looks dirty. Put a new one and put one or two spare filters in the boot. If the tank starts rusting it fouls very very quickly. And yes, put ethanol resistant hoses. Unless of course you only drive in ethanol free countries.

Return to “65 Fulvia”