S1 Gearbox 4 speed problem - Third gear jump

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
Huib
Site Admin

Re: S1 Gearbox 4 speed problem - Third gear jump

Unread post by Huib »

Of course the selector parts on the outside have to be checked and fixed. Don't give up on the slider too soon!!! Everything overlooked on the inside is heavily punished as the thing has to be taken apart again.

The story is that the job of the navigator of Sandro Munari was to hold the gear in 3rd (in the days of the 1.2HF and 1.3HF). On the 1.6HF Lancia put a short stick which was mounted upright.

In the parts book I have I see that the slider for 3 and 4 comes from the 815.000 which is the first Flavia. That one has column shift. The problem does not occur on the cars with column shift. There is no long stick hanging from the mechanism under an angle. It is very well possible that early sliders did not have the back cut on the teeth inside the slider for the 3rd. I recommend to actually check the teeth for the 3rd for the back cut on all the teeth. To the untrained eye it looks like wear. If in doubt, buy a new slider. Same for the springs and balls inside the sliders and the fork mechanisms. They are available at acceptable cost.

Did you replace the bronze bushes for the yoke at the top? Don't forget those. Are the forks straight? Are all the clearances indicated in the book correct?

On the outside, do everything. If you really really want a perfectly shifting gearbox also put bronze bushes in the aluminium piece holding the small shaft with the hammer at the yoke end. The yoke has two wings at the top which function as anvils for the hammer at the end of the shaft. They often have one or two dents. Fill them by welding steel on them and grind them for minimal clearance with the hammer.
lancia7550

Unread post by lancia7550 »

Thanks for all the advice Huib and fellow forum users. I am glad to report all my gearbox issues seem to be resolved:

After a few hundred kms no oil leaks visible: I replaced the two front seals and the sideshaft seals, as well as all the gaskets. I put some sealer on the surface inside the half shafts where the nut seats. Also replaced the small oil seal inside the speedo drive - see attached - that has clearly never been replaced!

3d gear stays in place now when the clutch is pushed in:
The 3-4 slider was on inspection installed correctly. So I put a small shim in with the ball and spring in the inner selector mechanism and tightened everything on the outside mechanism up to the point just before it restricts movement. Clicks in and out of third with a nice "click" now.

Best of all, my second gear downsift issue is fixed! Have been nursing that for 10 years... The syncro was basically brand new, but has clearly not been lapped when installed by a gearbox shop previously. From the shiny and dull marks in attached picture you can see the inside of the syncro ring did not fully make contact with the cone. After lapping with grinding paste for about 30 second the "grip" on the cone drastically increased. There is now no delay or grinding when shifting (down or up) into second, even when cold!
Attachments
20240127_105028.jpg
20240208_213747.jpg
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Thanks for the feed back.
khrell

Unread post by khrell »

I'm very glad that this thread is helping more people. Today I finished turning the 3rd gear selector pinion and installed new synchronizers.

Now I have another doubt when assembling, I have seen that I am missing some cotter pins on one side of the gearbox output (I put a photo from a magazine where you can see the assembly)

I don't remember that they were in the first disassembly and I don't know if it is possible to get them 😔

Return to “65 Fulvia”