Handbrake control light

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
Overknasten

Handbrake control light

Unread post by Overknasten »

Warning signal for handbrake is on even though the handbrake lever is completely free and car is moving freely.
I guess it is the handbrake switch that is not releasing and I want to take it of for inspection but where is it installed?
How do I access it easily and what should I look for? Anyone with a picture or drawing?
Br. Bjarke
marnix

Re: Handbrake control light

Unread post by marnix »

There are been two versions of the switch, depending on a S1 or S2/3 Fulvia. The switch is located on the base plate of the handbrake system. The whole handbrake lever system can be easily removed from under the car so you can see what is wrong. Also, when removing the protection with the rubber at the lever you can also look inside from the top inside the car. The earlier systems used a "gliding" copper contact against the lever, later systems used a depression switch pressed down by the lever when fully released.

Mind you, for later Fulvias, the same warning light was also used (if I remember correctly) for the float in the brake master cylinder to give a warning about low brake oil level, so if your car has wires going to that master cylinder, I would check too if the problem is not there.

If you indicate which version of the Fulvia I can maybe give further details.
Overknasten

Hi. Thanks for the fast reply.
I took of the wires to the brake cylinder and now I can turn the warning for handbrake on and off with the handbrake lever = switch is working - so far so good.
I noticed Yesterday that the garage overfilled the brake fluid reservoir. I have lowered it to the max. Level but the warning remains. Maybe the float has stucked or maybe there is still connection between the 2 wires because of fluid still there.
I will let it be over night and see if it has dried a bit out tomorrow. Otherwise I guess I must take of the reservoir, very annoying after having worked so much on this topic and with a brand new MBC from Huib, but I guess that is how it is.
Thanks again for the tip.
marnix

Unread post by marnix »

While I do not have personal experience with the float in the reservoir, i would suggest holding a strong light at one side of the reservoir, and maybe it is possible to see from the other side what the position of the float is, if it is stuck somehow down. I also have heard stories of floats (was not on the Fulvia) leaking and getting full of oil and sinking.

I didn't check, but I think brake oil is not electrically conductive.
Overknasten

You’re right of course - oil is not conductive, I was not thinking.
I’ll figure out a way to check if it is stuck in the bottom position.
Thanks

Return to “65 Fulvia”