Where do I find the old posts regarding cam timing?

CD's with documentationElectronic distributor
Professorgearhead

Where do I find the old posts regarding cam timing?

Unread post by Professorgearhead »

So I'm girding my loins to check and adjust (if necessary) the cam timing on my '72 Fulvia 1,600 over this coming winter. In advance I'm doing as much reading as I can. I do have the "Concise Workshop Manual" (bought here), and have found snippets here and there. All point to extensive instructions/observations/advise offered here, especially by our leader, Huib.

The problem is that when I click on the link from other forums linking here, the links no longer function because of the upgrades to Viva-Lancia. I cannot, for the life of me, find the originals here. Can someone please steer me toward them--and toward any other discussions/instructions on checking and setting the cams on my Fulvia.

Here are the two links I tried to open: http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showthrea ... ractor-DTI http://www.lancisti.net/forum/showthrea ... 1-3-Fulvia
Huib
Site Admin

Re: Where do I find the old posts regarding cam timing?

Unread post by Huib »

Are you looking for this one? posting.php?mode=reply&f=10&t=8149
Professorgearhead

Unread post by Professorgearhead »

Thanks for that, Huib. I'm not sure those were the two articles because I couldn’t open them before, but I will certainly add them to my growing pile of stuff on cam timing. Any other step-by-step sources would be gratefully appreciated.
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Yes. This posting.php?mode=reply&f=10&t=8149 is the one.

Since a few hours I have the old forum running in a Virtual Box with Server and PHP software of 2012. It can be installed on a Windows 10 machine. It runs complete with pictures and other attachments showing.

I can sell you a download at 100€. The file plus Virtual Box software is 15GB.
lancia7550

Unread post by lancia7550 »

Hi, I have checked the cam timing on my S1 Rallye 1.3S (818.303 engine, 818.342 cams) using the method described by Huib (2.2mm clearance +0.1mm to check). At 0.1mm both cams' timing is out by about one tooth on the flywheel (one tooth after/ left of "0") which should be about 3° as far as I know.

Should I try to rectify this or is it close enough?

Can such fine adjustment be made on the vernier cams? The hole spacing in the cam wheel looks quite big so I assume there is a different amount of holes in the cam, otherwise such fine adjustment will not be possible?

Thanks
bmarler

Unread post by bmarler »

i'm not positive,and maybe huib can shed some light, but i thought the vernier cams had 1/2 degree resolution, so yes, you can get closer than what you have.
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

In the sprocket wheel there are 12 holes, in the camshaft 11. Or the other way around. Anyway, 11 x 12 = 132 positions.

That is 360 / 132 = 2,7 camshaft degrees which is 2,7 x 2 = 5,4 crankshaft degrees.
On the series 1 each tooth is appr. 3,5 crankshaft degrees
Moving the pin 1 position equals 5,4 crankshaft degrees which equals 5,4 / 3,5 = 1,5 flywheel teeth.
That is not accurate enough.

Fortunately we have more possibilities. We can change a tooth on the sprocket wheel. The sprocket wheel on the crankshaft has 19 teeth. 19 is a prime number. By jumping teeth we can multiply the number of positions by 19. Instead of an accuracy of 5,4 crankshaft degrees we now have an accuracy of 5,4 / 19 = 0,3 crankshaft degrees. Converted to flywheel teeth, 0,3 degrees equal appr. 0,1 tooth

Return to “65 Fulvia”