Clutch master cylinder repair

Deon

Clutch master cylinder repair

Unread post by Deon »

Hi

Anyone rebuilt the clutch master cylinder before on the Series II Thema? I think my Thema's needs some attention since the clutch pedal sometimes doesn't want to come up from the floor immediately. I have replaced the slave recently because of a leak, but no improvement.

Any suggestions

Deon
Angle Grinder

Re: Clutch master cylinder repair

Unread post by Angle Grinder »

Hi Deon,

Your diagnosis sounds correct to me after helping a friend to fix the same symptoms, although we changed both cylinders at the same time so I can't say with absolute certainty that it was cured by the master.

The Thema Dedra Consortium in the UK is having a Thema dismantling session soon so I can try to find you a good second hand one. They don't usually fail so a used unit is not too much of a risk. If we are able to get a good one I'll post a message here and you can maybe then buy it from the TDC. www.lancia-tdc.co.uk
david hanson

Re: Clutch master cylinder repair

Unread post by david hanson »

RHD or LHD? it makes a difference how easy/hard it is to fix.
Your diagnosis sounds correct to me - My Thema (RHD) was doing the same thing. In the end it was both the slave and master cylinders that were leaking.
I found it easiest to get to the master cylinder through the right hand wheel arch, moving or removing everything I could that was in the way.
Because of the way the feed line from the brake master cylinder runs, and the way the line runs from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder runs, it is very difficult to bleed the clutch properly - try using a pressure bleed system or, alternately, the clutch seems to self-bleed. I found that the clutch got better and better over several days after replacing and bleeding the cylinders.

Return to “51 Thema”