16V Turbo Engine cutting out at +/- 3000rpm

Morné Joubert

16V Turbo Engine cutting out at +/- 3000rpm

Unread post by Morné Joubert »

After buying my Thema 16v Turbo I fixed the engine as a result of a broken cambelt. After about 80km of normal cruising I was convinced the engine and turbo operated without any problems (The turbo kicked in at about +/- 3000rpm). Then all of a sudden I experienced the following problem... I pulled away and when reaching second gear I found that the car won't rev above +/- 3000rpm. I slowed down and pulled of the road to inspect but no visual problem was found. I got back in the car and drove off again but the problem co-existed ( just my luck! ). Under 3000rpm the car operates as usual and as soon as I reach 3000 + rpm the engine cuts out until the revs falls below 3000rpm again. It feels like there is a fuel shortage. Could the Turbo be to blame?

Morné Joubert
South Africa
Morné Joubert

Re: 16V Turbo Engine cutting out at +/- 3000rpm

Unread post by Morné Joubert »

Okay... I will accept the dummy prize! The problem was none other than the air Filter! After careful inspection I found bugs between the "ribs" of the filter! Just shows you... Everything was renewed except the filter... Never would have thought! : o
Angle Grinder

Re: 16V Turbo Engine cutting out at +/- 3000rpm

Unread post by Angle Grinder »

WOW!!! What size of bugs do you have out there?

Return to “51 Thema”