Flavia Milleotto voltage regulator

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation New: electronic distributor
Vegard

Flavia Milleotto voltage regulator

Unread post by Vegard »

Hi,

I recently bought a 67 Flavia Milleotto Berlina, and I have found some issues that need bit attention. The former owner have replaced the original generator with a modern style generator. I assume the old generator was a DC unit with an external voltage regulator, but the new one have an internal regulator. My problem is that reading from the ampermeter the battery doesn't get charged. I read a few A (ca. -5 to +5, depending on the revs) when the engine is running without any electrical devices switched on, but sometimes I see/hear the generator kicking in, giving 35+A.

I am no expert when it comes to car electrics of this age, but my thoughts are that the generator has been changed without removing the old voltage regulator. Could this be a logical explanation for my problem? If so, is the voltage regulator the unit I have circled on the first picture? The second picture is a close up of the unit. Should I remove this unit, and join the two biggest red wires?

I hope I can find some help here, for this rather rare beauty. The last thing I want to do is harm the old lady, so I want to make sure I don't do anything wrong.

Kind regards,
Vegard
Attachments
flavia 2.jpg
flavia 2.jpg (56.12 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
flavia.jpg
flavia.jpg (152.19 KiB) Viewed 4300 times
grifo63

Re: Flavia Milleotto voltage regulator

Unread post by grifo63 »

I have got a 1961 Flavia so I don't know how much had been changed on the 1967 model; however for sure my one has a DC generator managed by a Magneti Marelli regulator which works by a nice mix of three magnetic coils for voltage monitoring and DC generator bias , limiting and reverse current protection.

Because of its not linear nature the regulator is switching abrutally about the different states so in my experience the amp meter may have some evident steps; hoever in your case they seems too sharp and they are probaly due to a not goof match between the "pached" AC generator and the DC regulator; to allow a better behavior you should modify the wiring with a schema good for the new generator or find an old DC one (I saw it on internet)
brian long

Unread post by brian long »

From what I can see the alternator and its associated control box are standard and the same as on my Flavia 2000 coupe.
The alternator is equipped with internal diodes which convert the AC voltage generated by the alternator into DC. The black regulator box adjusts the current. I would not recommend joining the two red wires!
There may be an intermittent contact somewhere which could account for the current suddenly increasing. Have you checked all your connections and earthing points? (Note also, do not run engine with battery disconnected; this will damage the alternator which must have a load connected to it all the time).. The 35A figure you mention sounds about right when first charging and then should taper off to around 5A.
The alternator/regulator set -up is a standard arrangement and a good auto electrician should be able to sort it out quite readily.
Good luck.
Briann
brian long

A correction!
A friend has pointed out to me that the picture shows a relay. It is not the voltage regulator.
Apologies if I have led anyone up the garden path.
msouth

Unread post by msouth »

Flavias had alternators from the series 2 cars, as far as I understand.
From the parts book, Table 69 shows the electrical equipment. Item 2 is the alternator, 14V - 30/40A type SEV Motorola 26685 (Lancia part number 2224011). Item 61 is the regulator, type SEV Altenateurs 33093 (Lancia part number 2254305). This also indicates that the regulator is external to the alternator.
Now, there is a note against the alternator indicating that it was perhaps updated in 2/1971, and for the regulator 9/1972, but I hope those numbers are still helpful.
Pierre VALLADE

Unread post by Pierre VALLADE »

Hi,

Attached a picture of my Flavia (S2 Milleotto 1968). The SEV regulator is the part surounded in green.
Just during few minutes after starting the engine, the amperemeter shows "30" amp. Then the value decrease quickly to near "0" Amp.
I use this car since 2014 with this configuration, without any issues.

If I remember weil, the relay is for the electric fan motor.

Pierre
Attachments
Flavia-milleotto.jpg
brian long

Pierre,
From what you say, the alternator (Not generator, they were on earlier Flavias) is working correctly.
The ammeter is indicating a quick boost to the battery after starting and then it settles down to a low charging rate as you describe. Probably if you went on a long drive, the charge rate would get even lower as the battery voltage rose as it became fully charged.
Yes, the black relay is for the electric fan. You should check that it is working correctly. Bridging the terminals on the thermal switch on the bottom of the radiator, with the ignition on, should make the fan run.
On my Flavia 2000 coupe, I have fitted a switch which allows me to turn the fan on rather than wait for the engine to get up towards 90C before coming on automatically.
Regards.

Return to “68 Flavia, Lancia 2000”