Flavia Vignale with kugelfischer overheating in traffic

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation New: electronic distributor
Robozagato

Flavia Vignale with kugelfischer overheating in traffic

Unread post by Robozagato »

I have a 1966 Lancia Flavia Vignale that is running hot in traffic. I have flushed the cooling system and removed all the sediment but it still runs hot when it sits in traffic. Cursing on the highway she runs cool right in the middle of the temp gauge. Can anyone recommend an auxiliary electrical cooling fan for her? Kenlowe no longer sells to indindividuals. Cheers, Robert
gcarenini

Re: Flavia Vignale with kugelfischer overheating in traffic

Unread post by gcarenini »

Dear Robert,
I own some Lancias, two of them are Flavia and one is a 1800 coupé Pininfarina iniezione built in 1966 equipped with the same engine of yours.
with the cooling system in good shape, the Flavia engine never run hot, neither in the italian summer ;-)
I do not recommend you to install any auxiliary cooling fan because doing so you will eliminate the effect but you will not not solve the cause. I recommend you to check properly the whole cooling system, not forgetting to check the main thermostat and also the small thermal unit, that move the shutter, fitted in the upper part of the the radiator
You will have also to carefully check the radiator and will be better to remove the water drain on the left side of the engine and the connector on the right side in order to carefully check the internal duct in the crankcase.
I guess that doing the above mentioned check you will find the cause of the overheating.

Kind regards

Giovanni
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

Ciao Giovanni, grazie 1000

Could a bad water pump contribute to the problem?

Linked to the cooling system is perhaps the oil cooler. I can understand the oil cooler was put in in the sixties because of the single grade engine oil. Now that we have multigrade oils, is it still necessary to keep the oil cooler?

Ciao Huib
gcarenini

Ciao Huib,

of course a bad water pump could contribute, I've suggested to check the whole cooling system but, on my experience, I never seen on a Flavia engine a bad water pump without any leakage.
Also important to check the connecting hose between the two banks and also the bypass on the water pump
Regarding the oil cooler is my opinion that with the modern lubricants, in a normal street use, the oil cooler is not so essential, also considering the big quantity of oil in these engines.

Ciao

Giovanni
Pierre VALLADE

Unread post by Pierre VALLADE »

Robert,

Did you check if the thermostat is working fine ? The problem may occur if the thermostat is not open enough at high temperature.
If you are not sure, remove it (it's quite easy) and complete the coolant liquid. Just for the test. See picture.
If the problem disappears, install a new thermostat.
Notice that the speed (and the volume) of the air crossing the radiator is quite the speed of the car. So on a motorway, the air flow is much more powerfull than in slow traffic.

Pierre.
Attachments
flavia_thermostat.jpg
FL30

Unread post by FL30 »

Agree on what has been said before, the complete system should be checked. Additionally, one should use all cooling capacity the car has, that includes the oil cooler, even if the modern oil would not require it. It will not bring too much at slow ventilation (when driving slowly or standing) but it adds cooling capacity to the system. With many Flavias the 3 way thermostat inside the oilfilter body has ceased. Other than the water thermostat, which in the extreme can be left out, this 3 way unit has to work properly. If simply left out the oil will not pass the cooler at all. If dead/stuck the oil will also flow through the bypass only.

You should also check, if all the air duct parts at the back of the radiator are there. These protect against "false" air being drawn in from the sides by the fan.
Hubert
Robozagato

The thermostat was removed and tested and found to be working perfectly so re-installed it. Today it is slightly cool her in LA at 70F. I drove her for 30 min at 110km/hr and the temperature gauge never went above the middle, nice and cool. However when I got home I let her idle for 30 min at which point the temperature gauge was all the way to the top of the red zone on the gauge. Is this considered normal after idling at 900 rpm for 30 minutes in 70 degree Fahrenheit weather? Thanks, Robert
Robozagato

Thanks for the informative and detailed help everyone! I appreciate it! 🙏 I tested the thermostat and it’s working great. Will continue to go through the cooling system. Is it unrealistic to think that after a long high speed drive that she should be able to idle for 30 minutes afterwards without boiling over when the outside temperature is 95F as it often is here? Cheers,Robert
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

110kmh is medium speed

95F is 35 Celsius which is hot but should still be within the design range

I suppose you tested the water thermostat. The oil thermostat?

Did the radiator ever get a new core?
gcarenini

Hello,

Huib is right, I can grant you that at 35°C you can leave the car at idle for hours without any issue. I believe that the issue is the water radiator not the oil one, my 1,8 iniezione have the oil radiator, the berlina 1,5 not, both with water radiator in perfect condition. As already written, dismantle the lower hoses and check it carefully the water passages in the lower part of the crankcase.

Best regards

Giovanni

Return to “68 Flavia, Lancia 2000”