Flavia Vignale with kugelfischer overheating in traffic

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation New: electronic distributor
LanciaFin

Re: Flavia Vignale with kugelfischer overheating in traffic

Unread post by LanciaFin »

It is possible, that the radiator is partly clogged inside by dirt and limestone (or radiator sealants, a product that should be banned.) Those that have seen salty roads have sometimes externally corroded fins leading to poor cooling, but in this case I'd doubt that.

Mildly acidic solution can remove the limestone from radiator, but often the result is, that the owner finds out the limestone has been covering holes in the core. Actually the owner's manual gives instruction for cleaning the cooling system with hydrochloride acid, which sounds scary for aluminum engine.

Anyway, if the issue comes up only after 30 minutes of idling in hot conditions, I wouldn't be too concerned. Maybe the electric fan was added on Milleotto for this reason. ;)

BR,
Miika
gcarenini

Unread post by gcarenini »

Good morning,

is right Mika highlighting again to check the state of the radiator. The electric fan has been installed on milleotto instead of the mechanical one and is inoperating until the water has been reach a certain temperature. The electric fan is a more modern solution because is working only when is useful, avoiding noise and power consumption but, if the cooling system is in good order no overheating have to appear. This is my experience on more than one Flavia that usually show the opposite problem. Again , carefully check the whole cooling system.

Best regards

Giovanni
Pierre VALLADE

Unread post by Pierre VALLADE »

Hi all,

Just to complete the previous message.
I have a Flavia S2 sedan Milleotto. The fan is both mechanical and electric driven depending on the engine speed.
Is the temperature is not reach, the fan do not work.
If the temperature is reach and the engine is under 2.000 rpm, the fan is electrically driven. So, stopped at traffic light (or other circumstances), the air speed in enough to cool the water.
If the engine is over 2.000 rpm, the fan is mechanically driven.

Best regards,

Pierre
Geoff

Unread post by Geoff »

I think the oil cooler was implemented as Lancia learned that hot oil pulled down the power. We found this in some dyno tests of an improved Aurelia engine we built some years back - that when the oil temp got (I think) >200º (F), the power started to fall off. So it was no surprise to see that an oil cooler came for all the next generation cars.
bmw8890

Unread post by bmw8890 »

Did you check the louvers ant the top of the radiator? They may not be opening at the high temperature.

Return to “68 Flavia, Lancia 2000”