Seized Flavia Engine

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation New: electronic distributor
LanciaFin

Re: Seized Flavia Engine

Unread post by LanciaFin »

I had the crankshaft cleaned that way. The shop was able to remove the plugs without breaking them. I think new plugs should be possible to be turned from bigger plugs.

BR,
Miika
viiking

Unread post by viiking »

After the long COVID delays and other life issues I have finally got my hands on the long-promised 1800 long motor and transmission from a friend. These are very rare cars here so they don't come up often. I have a list of chassis numbers for the Coupe but is there a list of engine numbers per year somewhere? Or can I get close by adding up the 300 series production numbers across all 1800 engine variants? This engine is in the 9000 range whereas my original was 21000. I guess it is an early 1800.

The motor is apparently from a Berlina and complete with the transmission. The friend selling the unit said he thought the final drive ratios were different between the Berlina and the Coupe. I know that the Sport is different. Can anyone confirm?

If they are the same I will probably not bother taking the transmission off this "new engine", but rather try and start the new engine after installing it into the car.

I was told that the engine ran before dismantling, but of course you have to take that with a grain of salt. I intend to check the internals of the engine best I can with a borescope, drain the oil, pull off the top crankshaft cover and inspect. If all is good, I will "flood" the engine with oil and let it sit for a week to make sure as much of the engine is lubricated as possible, drain the excess oil, clean and replace the oil filter, rebuild the carb (it needs it for sure) and see if I can get it to fire. Of course the longer term goal may be to pull the motor down and change the rings and bearings etc, but after my first experience I don't want to spend too much time and money in case it is another boat anchor.

The cooling circuit is dismantled and has been left open. I'm not sure how clean or how corroded it is. I guess I won't know until I try it.

Is my restart process sound? Anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks in anticipation.
viiking

Unread post by viiking »

The pistons have a marking Sp 0,07. Any ideas what this means? I don't think it is oversize.
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

I guess it means the clearance between piston and cylinder should be 0.07 mm
viiking

Unread post by viiking »

You may be right. I note that the clearance between the piston and liner in my documentation is 0.064-0.09mm with a wear limit of 0.2mm.

My pistons are type "C".
viiking

Unread post by viiking »

Can anyone confirm the size of the aluminium cylinder head plugs. There are 4 of these in each head. I believe they are M18x1.5 by measurement but I cannot find out information.

The Lancia part number is 4113113 but I cannot find any leads on these.

I believe these are the same size as all but one of the crankshaft plugs as well.

Return to “68 Flavia, Lancia 2000”