3rd gear disengages

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation New: electronic distributor
LanciaFin

3rd gear disengages

Unread post by LanciaFin »

Every now and then my four-speed Flavia has this tendency to drop from 3rd gear when engaging clutch after gear change. This never happens later. It feels like sometimes the gear is not properly "locked." I've heard that this is not a rare behavior with Flavia and Fulvia gearboxes, but this can not be very healthy for the synchronizers, and it is a bit annoying feature anyway in otherwise smooth gear change.

Is there something that can be done to fix this? I'm using GL3-spec oil, Tutela ZC90.

BR,
Miika
LanciaFin

Re: 3rd gear disengages

Unread post by LanciaFin »

Well, after some weeks of testing I think I found the remedy. The rubber boot in the bottom of gear stick was close to parcel shelf. When stationary, it doesn't touch it, but during driving things change as the engine moves. I'm not sure if the engine mounting rubbers have become too soft, or if the boot has stretched during the decades it had been not installed, but when I every now and then have pushed it downwards, there has been no issue with gears.

Either I need to find a way to lock the boot lower, or change the engine mounts.

BR,
Miika
Huib
Site Admin

Re: 3rd gear disengages

Unread post by Huib »

It is usually something like that.

Or too much wear and thus play on the stick mechanism of the earlier Flavia's. That prevents you from fully engaging 3rd. The mechanism is beautiful but uses far too many pivoting points.

If you have that mechanism you could replace it with one from a Fulvia which is the same as on the later Flavia's.

Return to “68 Flavia, Lancia 2000”