Flavia Vapor lock

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation New: electronic distributor
bmw8890

Flavia Vapor lock

Unread post by bmw8890 »

I am having a vapor lock issue with my 1963 Flavia Vignale when the ambient temperature is above 80 degrees F. Is there a solution to eliminate this condition? Thanks, Brian
grifo63

Re: Flavia Vapor lock

Unread post by grifo63 »

Hi bmw8890, strange...... Is your fuel pump the original Bendix one, has been replaced with a recent FACET model or what? is it installed correctly (NOT horizontal)? can you measure the fuel pressure? Is embedded fuel filter (and the one in the tank) clean? It the be also that the two internal not return valve are worned.,,, as just as a memo the fuel pump characteristic are the folowing: - p/n bendix : 476087 - pressure 4..5 PSI - 30 gallon/h
bmw8890

Unread post by bmw8890 »

Hi Grifo63 The car has dual Solex carburetors. Fuel pressure regulator was se to 3.5 psi. Should I remove? Facet Fuel pump mounted to trunk mounts correctly with added fuel filter between tank and pump to prevent tank rust from getting into the pump Added fuel filter is clean. Removed added fuel filters near carburetors. Where is the tank fuel filter located? I will set the pressure to 4.5 psi and report back. Thanks, Brian
grifo63

Unread post by grifo63 »

Hi bmw8890, also my vignale has 2x SOLEX C35PII-2, they are a couple of wild things.... Why a fuel pressure regulator is mounted? this is not present in the original configuration, the right pressure range should be ensured only by the Bendix electrical pump. The fuel filter is located on the lower tank cap. It is made by a very thin metallic wire mesh but if you never restored, after 50+ years you will found it probably corrode and destroyed. However I just mention it, if it would be instead blocked you probably may have more problem then just vapor lock
bmw8890

Unread post by bmw8890 »

Grifo63, With pressure regulator set at 5 psi the car ran great with good top end and no vapor lock. I originally added the pressure regulator to eliminate the chance of float valve leakage from the potential of excessive fuel pressure but will remove. Will check the tank filter condition and replace if needed Does your car have the original distributor set up or did you go with the electronic ignition? Thanks for your help, Brian
grifo63

Unread post by grifo63 »

Hi Brian, despite electronic is my passion (and job) I don't like to apply it at year '60 car; I prefer to have it as much as original as possible. By the way the electronic distributor available for the Flavia is nice and fit as the original but the advantage (to me) are little, mainly no breaker point and smart dwell sw control. Capacitive discharge may offer greater spark energy at high rpm but this implementation require more complex circutry

Return to “68 Flavia, Lancia 2000”