Clutch release bearing

CD's with workshop manuals, parts book and other documentation New: electronic distributor
LanciaFin

Clutch release bearing

Unread post by LanciaFin »

Hello, I've recently learned, that the clutch in my Flavia is actually a BMW/Mercedes unit (F&S 1881052212), which is different from Flavia one, even though they look same and can actually be installed without problems. I have had a pretty uncomfortable (jitter, noise, lazy disengagement) clutch all the time, and have now decided to replace it with correct one. Just found a new Lancia unit from Ebay. This is a very good time to replace also the release bearing. The original is RIV type ALN35, which to my understanding should be a normal permanently lubed 6207-type bearing? Am I correct? Because I'm very likely doing the replacement in the middle of summer, I want to have all parts ready to get the baby back to road ASAP. BR, Miika
LanciaFin

Re: Clutch release bearing

Well, the bearing itself is very likely a 6207, but with RIV number 614542 it has been "dressed" with a sleeve meeting the clutch pads. https://www.ebay.it/itm/CUSCINETTO-RIV- ... 3603087577 These are still available as NOS, but I may be making a similar sleeving for a new bearing, because I don't think that bearings with 40-50 year old greases are really worth the price they are asked for. BR, Miika
gcarenini

Unread post by gcarenini »

Hello Miika, is not simply "dressed", only the overall dimension are similar between 6207 and ALN35, the first is an angular bearing, the second is an axial (thrust) bearing. Kind regards Giovanni
LanciaFin

Hi Giovanni, According to documents that I've found, ALN35 is a deep groove ball bearing, which should make it stand axial forces better than normal angular bearing. I will check when I have it in my hand. Currently it is not in hurry, because several weeks ago I received a worrying noise when pressing clutch, and thought that this is it. Well, after that the clutch began to work a lot better and without any kind of noises, so apparently something was stuck in the pressure plate, and it was released. Anyway, I already have a new clutch, and will replace it later. I already have a FAG deep groove ball bearing for substitute to ALN35, but will check them before replacement. Thank you for the suggestion, if there is a difference, it will be very nice to spot that before everything is assembled! Best regards, Miika
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

I used the 6207 several times in the past. Worked ok although it is fractionally higher I remember. Miika. Did you check if the original bearing is thrust, angular contact or deep groove?
LanciaFin

I will check that, when I have it in my hand. Currently it is still doing its job, also tomorrow morning when I'll be driving to work. It is very likely either angular contact or deep groove bearing. BR, Miika
Huib
Site Admin

Unread post by Huib »

It would not surprise me if it is a true thrust bearing as Giovanni says. Thus axial forces only. I just opened a release bearing of a series 1 Fulvia which was a suspect for lots of noises when the pedal was depressed. Certainly looked very different from other bearings I have seen so far. This is the 45 mm version. I did not find it very bad. We then discovered that the pressure table inside the flywheel was loose. It just dropped out of the flywheel when we wanted to check the small bearing in the crankshaft.
LanciaFin

I will open it some time in the autumn, so we will see. Results will be reported here.B) BR, Miika
LanciaFin

Oh well. Soon after I had written the previous message, there was once a brief schreeching sound from the clutch when the pedal was pressed. I was sure, that it was its way to say "goodbye", but... After that the clutch has been working completely without any issues. The Flavia was put on winter rest just a week and half ago, so it saw some driving. So... Event though I have a new clutch (or actually it is factory-refurbished), I won't be opening it now. "If it ain't broken, don't fix it," say ancient wise men. Miika
grifo63

Unread post by grifo63 »

(tu)

Return to “68 Flavia, Lancia 2000”