Flaminia clutch free play

CD's with partsbook, workshop manual, original sales brochures, instruction booklet, ads.
thecarnut

Flaminia clutch free play

Unread post by thecarnut »

I recently purchased a 1962 Flaminia GT and the clutch is slipping. The clutch was recently replaced by the previous owner using all new parts from Classic Lancia in the Netherlands. I suspect the free play was not set properly. I have experience with clutches but not with the one on a Flaminia. What is the proper procedure to set the free play?
FL30

Re: Flaminia clutch free play

Unread post by FL30 »

There is an actuating rod running from the clutch pedal to the clutch lever at the gearbox. At the rear it has an adjusting fork (the spareparts book says "rod adjusting clevis") The correct travel of the pedal is 20-25 mm.
Hubert
thecarnut

Unread post by thecarnut »

Thank you for your quick reply.
When the clutch pedal is at rest (foot not depressing pedal) should the clutch lever (T38 #29) also be be at rest? The rod running between the pedal and the clutch is almost at its maximum length. If I was to shorten the rod it would start pulling the clutch lever forward. Wouldn't this make the slipping worst?
FL30

Unread post by FL30 »

Ok, then the clutch lever is mounted in the wrong position. It has a toothed seat, you can put it in a more convenient position, so that you have more space back and forth for adjusting the rod.

The basic installation is as with all standard cars, when disengaged the release bearing should not touch the clutch. The free travel of the release bearing sleeve is quite big, I would not adjust it in a way that the release bearing is at its back rest. I normally adjust the clutch by setting the free travel of the clutch lever to 5-10 mm (actually I keep the travel fairly small because I prefer the clutch to react on short pedal moves)
Hubert

Return to “70 Flaminia”