carbus C35 PHH E2

Electronic distributor
CD's with documentation: Fulvia Flavia Flaminia
marnix

Re: carbus C35 PHH E2

Unread post by marnix »

Une dernière remarque: les E2 n'ont PAS de roulements à billes. C'est la version qui est venue après cela, le E 3 qui a des roulements à billes. Les E 3 ont été utilisés à la toute fin de la production de Fulvia, et ils ont également été recommandés par Lancia pour remplacer le E 2 (sans toutes les choses délicates sur les carburateurs E 2). Les E 3 sont très bons, mais ils sont plutôt rares et donc chers.
marnix

Unread post by marnix »

Une dernière remarque: les E2 n'ont PAS de roulements à billes. C'est la version qui est venue après cela, le E 3 qui a des roulements à billes. Les E 3 ont été utilisés à la toute fin de la production Fulvia, et ils ont également été recommandés par Lancia pour remplacer le E 2 (sans toutes les choses délicates sur les carburateurs E 2). Les E 3 sont très bons, mais ils sont plutôt rares et donc chers.
georges2

Unread post by georges2 »

Hi Marnix, no problem to read in english, I will reply in the same.
Thank you for attention to the subject, and to share your knowledge, I understand you are a skilled guy on it.
The carbs are presently in a pro workshop and will be back in some days or week. Nothing will be done on the special membrane as they cannot put a new one.
My car is presently running with a pair of PHH 19 which have been cleaned by ultrasound, and correctly fixed by a mechanic man, they give good service.
I was expecting an increased performance with the PHH E2 especially in the conditions of long roads slightly climbing, when the RPM are around 3000/4000, and the 1300cc seems to be a little "short". Gear 3 is not good in this condition

So what can I say ? I am careful to ask you making a new membrane, without knowing what the price would be.(may be you tell me more via private message ?)
I can wait for a miracle and find a period membrane in good condition...
Another mystery : there is a litte hose outing from the hood of the membrane : where does the other end go to catch depression making the membrane move ?
Even if the PHH E2 never comes on my car, I will be pleased to know why things are like they are, and how engineers always tried to increase performance.
Many thanks again and best regards
Georges
marnix

Unread post by marnix »

Hi Georges

If you give me your email address, I can give you some details. I am currently somewhat busy working on other urgent carburetor jobs, so I can not promise you for quick information and (maybe) solutions, but if you have a bit of patience, I can give you full documentation on how the carbs work (official documentation from Lancia, but it is in English) and I can see if I can make such a membrane. When I said it would not be cheap, I was meaning, not like standard replacement membranes that usually cost something like 5 Euro. It will be more in the range of 50 Euro I think because it is a "custom" job, but I first need to have a look at it to know exactly how and what can be done.

Marnix
georges2

Fin du feuilleton : j'ai récupéré mes carbus C35 PHH E2 comme ils étaient au départ, non restaurés puisque les pièces spécifiques ne sont pas disponibles. Il n'y a pas d'axes sur roulement à billes comme je l'avais espéré suite à une proposition vue sur un site marchand de pièces pour Fulvia.
Le dispositif spécial avec une membrane et un pointeau électromagnétique est destiné à modifier l'alimentation quand la voiture est en allure "frein moteur" : un courant électrique agit sur le pointeau si la pédale d'embrayage est en haut, et la seconde ou troisième vitesse est enclenchée. Le pointeau envoie alors un petit supplément d'essence ...Pas de quoi gagner 10 CV !
Merci beaucoup à Marnix, présent sur ce forum, qui m'a transmis ces informations.
J'ai donc abandonné le projet et fait restaurer mes classiques PHH 19 qui jusque là allaient déjà très bien.
En voulant faire mieux, on se plante quelquefois....
Cordialement
marnix

Unread post by marnix »

Georges, I can understand your disappointment, but I think you (we?) came to the conclusion that it is not worth the effort, as there is almost nothing to be gained...

As a comfort: the PHH 19, when restored to good condition, work very well. It is worth getting them restored as this alone will almost change your Fulvia, and you will be surprised how well it drives with renewed carburetors. Too many people drive around with bad carburetors and think the resulting "tame" driving of the Fulvia is "normal" - thinking it was that way 50 years ago. It is not. The Fulvia drives very well, but the carburetors are a delicate point and they MUST be in good condition to get that.
georges2

Hi Marnix, I want to say I don't feel depited about using the PHH 19 carbs.
In fact, I sent my PHH E2 for restoration, only because the workshop said they would replace the wheelbearing on PHH E carbs...
After receiving my carbs, they observed the problem of the particular valve on this E2. No part available, so the restoration was no longer relevant..
Then my decision was to take off the PHH19 from my Fulvia, and send them to the workshop. They have done the job and I received my 4 carbs a few days later. The 19 have now very bright metal. I will run the car in a few days (when the weather will be more pleasant as I don't start the engine inside my garage, my wife doesnot agree...) There is a workshop near me who knows the process of setting the carbs.
What I should have done is to ask questions before sending, I will be more carefull next time.
What makes me satisfied is to have learnt about carbs (grace to you) and to run my car shortly in very good health.
Best regards,
Georges

Return to “F85 Fulvia, Flavia, Flaminia, Stratos”