B12 Leaf Springs

Appia, Aprilia, Ardea, Artena, Astura, Augusta, Belna, Aurelia, Dilambda, Lambda and earlier
Ralph de Masi

B12 Leaf Springs

Unread post by Ralph de Masi »

In bolting the spring shackles to the chassis and leaf spring I would like to know if the upper and lower shackle bolts are tightened to the point where movement is only possible by the play in the rubber bushing (after setting the car's static height) or is it tightened just enough to allow the parts to rotate on the bolt itself and the rubber bushing is meant simply to take up shocks?

It would seem the use of the castellated nut in this situation would allow the setting and maintaining of a more delicate, granular setting rather than simply tightening it up to the point of binding everything but I'm only guessing.

As well if a static height is involved does anyone know what that measurement would be?
Brian Long

Re: B12 Leaf Springs

Unread post by Brian Long »

Ralph,

I have not removed the springs on my B12 but the technique for the silentbloc rubber bushings in the steering track rod may offer some clues.
When these are replaced, the bolt through the centre must only be tightened when the wheels are pointing ahead. Otherwise the rotation will be biased and the rubber core could be torn out.
Extending this to your case, my reaction would be to tighten up the bolt through the centre when the car is on the ground.
There is a diagram in the various 'factory notes' showing spring dimensions and rates but I dont think it makes any reference to the static height of the car.

Cheers.

Brian.
Steve Katzman

Unread post by Steve Katzman »

Although I have no definitive answer for Aurelias, referencing sketch 531I, 6/8/59 regarding the rear spring thrust washers and inner UJ blocks, shows that "The tightening of the elastic bushings is always to be done with the springs fully loaded..."
Sketch 449I, 8/5/59 states "With the leaf spring straight.." ie, flat, though perhaps you should see how flat it is with the "normal" average liquids and passengers.
This is general practice with all SilentBlocs.
Steve
Ralph de Masi

Unread post by Ralph de Masi »

Thanks for the help
Parisien

Unread post by Parisien »

Yes, and another thank you, am now at the stage were we will be doing this in the not too distant future!

P

Return to “75 Early Cars”